Out of Unit Membership Record Marriage Question

Discuss questions around local unit policies for membership (creating records, transferring records, etc.) This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
Miknmaur

Out of Unit Membership Record Marriage Question

Post by Miknmaur »

I am clerk for a singles ward with an out of unit Bishopric. Even though I have typed everything in for the marriage in the wife's and Bishop's records the portion in the wife's record that shows if the spouse is a member says NO. The Bishop's full name and record number are showing, but no birthdate. The marriage info is correct showing the temple for the marriage. In the household record the Bishop's wife is listed as position: other. I cannot change her status even though she is listed correctly as the Bishop's wife in his record.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Everything points to MLS as being unable to link the two records for some reason. You might triple check the record number. You might try filing in the missing birth date.

Failing that, since you are "out of unit" you might want to call the "home" unit to make sure you're not inheriting a problem.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
crislapi

Post by crislapi »

From my own experience, out of unit records cannot be linked to correctly show marriage. This seems to make sense since they are for functional use only. A marriage should be recorded on the official record and not an out of unit record. I realize you are trying to recreate the record and not record a marriage, but it seems to not be possible. I ended up giving up and just having independent records for the bishop and his wife in my YSA ward. It does not affect anything (other than appearance) and does not indicate any error with the actual records.

Return to “Membership Help”