Did ALL Members Review Their IOS?

Discuss questions around local unit policies for membership (creating records, transferring records, etc.) This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
greggo

Post by greggo »

Mikerowaved wrote:I used to be a ward finance clerk and I would distribute the IOS forms throughout the ward by including them with the YTD donation summary, which is usually distributed around the first part of November. Included are one of two letters from the Bishop that are similar, just worded slightly different depending on whether the member had made any contributions that year or not.

Both letters invite the member to participate in tithing settlement and have brief instructions on how to register to use the ward website tools. The letters also invite the members to review their enclosed IOS and report any discrepancies.

We distribute as many envelopes as we can by hand before Sacrament Meeting and between meetings, then mail the rest.

I'm no longer serving in that capacity, but I would think that would satisfy the audit question.
I've done this a couple of times in the past, but each time we had letters come back, because the recipient had moved without a forwarding address. So I guess strictly speaking, it would still be a "NO."
davesudweeks

Post by davesudweeks »

ckmcdonald wrote:Just curious, did you mail them to DNC's as well?
We include the DNC's as well. If anyone wants to complain, they have the Bishop's return address... A side benefit is we often receive address change/move out information for those who currently desire no home teachers, etc. (if you have the "Address Correction Requested" note on your envelopes). There is sometimes a small charge for the address correction, but we feel it's worth it if we find someone has moved out without our knowledge.
kisaac
Community Moderators

Post by kisaac »

Mikerowaved wrote:I used to be a ward finance clerk and I would distribute the IOS forms throughout the ward by including them with the YTD donation summary, which is usually distributed around the first part of November. Included are one of two letters from the Bishop that are similar, just worded slightly different depending on whether the member had made any contributions that year or not.

Both letters invite the member to participate in tithing settlement and have brief instructions on how to register to use the ward website tools. The letters also invite the members to review their enclosed IOS and report any discrepancies.

We distribute as many envelopes as we can by hand before Sacrament Meeting and between meetings, then mail the rest.

I'm no longer serving in that capacity, but I would think that would satisfy the audit question.
While more work/expense, it really gives your ward the opportunity to "magnify" your efforts... and it serves as a much better "invitation" to tithing settlement from the bishop than just inviting those who attend sundays from the pulpit! Any returned letters give the added benefit of correcting any move-outs or address changes you didn't know about. And, EVERY member will then receive an IOS, and can review this at tithing settlement with leaders.

I've done it, and it is work. But "important" work.

Return to “Membership Help”