Members Moved Out Report Blank

Discuss questions around local unit policies for membership (creating records, transferring records, etc.) This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
psantangelo

Members Moved Out Report Blank

Post by psantangelo »

Hi we are having a problem with our members moved out form where no names are on the list even when we go back 4 months. We were hoping that 3.4 might fix it but no luck. Any ideas on things we can try or are any of you having similar issues? Any ideas or help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Phil Santangelo Ward Clerk
steveheath

Post by steveheath »

I noticed the same thing today when trying to run the Members Moved Out Report. It ran just fine for the past 4 months (Aug - Nov), but is blank for time periods prior to that. Where did the information go? I'm working on an analysis for the Bishopric that shows move-in's vs. move-out's for each month of this year. The Members Moved In Report ran just fine for each month of this year, but as I mentioned, the Members Moved Out Report is blank except for the past 4 months. Any idea what is going on here? Thanks in advance.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

steveheath wrote:I noticed the same thing today when trying to run the Members Moved Out Report. It ran just fine for the past 4 months (Aug - Nov), but is blank for time periods prior to that. Where did the information go? I'm working on an analysis for the Bishopric that shows move-in's vs. move-out's for each month of this year. The Members Moved In Report ran just fine for each month of this year, but as I mentioned, the Members Moved Out Report is blank except for the past 4 months. Any idea what is going on here? Thanks in advance.
I don't know for sure, but I wonder how long MLS keeps records about members who moved out. I doubt that they are kept forever, since this is data about people who are no longer members of the ward. It certainly wouldn't surprise me if the data for the Moved Out report is only kept for 4 months, which would explain why you can't generate that report any farther back than that.

The Members Moved In report, on the other hand, can be generated at any time, since it gets its data from current members of the ward (or at least mostly -- it's possible someone moves in, then moves out fairly soon thereafter).
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
steveheath

Post by steveheath »

aebrown wrote:I don't know for sure, but I wonder how long MLS keeps records about members who moved out. I doubt that they are kept forever, since this is data about people who are no longer members of the ward. It certainly wouldn't surprise me if the data for the Moved Out report is only kept for 4 months, which would explain why you can't generate that report any farther back than that.

The Members Moved In report, on the other hand, can be generated at any time, since it gets its data from current members of the ward (or at least mostly -- it's possible someone moves in, then moves out fairly soon thereafter).

I'm sure that's what's going on, but it just doesn't make sense to wipe out the information that is > 4 months old. I can't imagine that it has to do with file size because the records are no longer in the ward and there is no link to the member's record; it's just a list of names, birth dates, record #'s, and move out dates. It makes sense after some period of time to wipe the data clean, but 4 months doesn't seem like long enough to me. Something like > 12 months would be much better IMO. But it's not a big deal, we will survive just fine without it.

Return to “Membership Help”