Does information on a membership record transfer?

Discuss questions around local unit policies for membership (creating records, transferring records, etc.) This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
ericwerny
New Member
Posts: 17
Joined: Thu Jan 20, 2011 10:51 pm

Does information on a membership record transfer?

Postby ericwerny » Mon Apr 18, 2011 5:41 pm

When moving a record out many of the fields are blank, such as address, phone etc. If these fields have current data in them, does it migrate with the record to the new ward.

With the advent of the new young single wards and new 30+ single ward. The information is not changes just the attending ward.

Any insight on this?

User avatar
aebrown
Community Administrator
Posts: 14692
Joined: Tue Nov 27, 2007 8:48 pm
Location: Sandy, Utah

Postby aebrown » Mon Apr 18, 2011 6:06 pm

ericwerny wrote:When moving a record out many of the fields are blank, such as address, phone etc. If these fields have current data in them, does it migrate with the record to the new ward.

With the advent of the new young single wards and new 30+ single ward. The information is not changes just the attending ward.

Any insight on this?


It depends on how the record is moved. If it is moved with the standard Move Record feature of MLS (either in or out, either household or family), then the address and phone number are blanked out when the record is moved -- unless the new information (which may be the same as the old info) is supplied as the record is moved.

If the record is moved as part of a bulk transfer using the Boundary Realignment feature, then the address and phone number are retained. I assume that when CHQ moves YSA records in bulk as part of the creation of new YSA stakes and wards, the process is similar to the MLS feature for Boundary Realignment, and the address and phone number will be retained.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.

ericwerny
New Member
Posts: 17
Joined: Thu Jan 20, 2011 10:51 pm

Postby ericwerny » Mon Apr 18, 2011 7:25 pm

I think it should be suggested that the information is retain unless it is edited.

russellhltn
Community Administrator
Posts: 20757
Joined: Sat Jan 20, 2007 2:53 pm
Location: U.S.

Postby russellhltn » Mon Apr 18, 2011 7:50 pm

The majority of moves occurs because the member has physically moved to a new location outside of the Ward's boundaries. With the exception of the cell phone, that would invalidate the old information.

Boundary move is there for the exceptions.
Have you searched the Wiki?
Try using a Google search by adding "site:tech.lds.org/wiki" to the search criteria.

greggo
Member
Posts: 272
Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2008 9:36 am
Location: Paw Paw, MI, USA

Postby greggo » Tue Apr 19, 2011 9:51 am

RussellHltn wrote:The majority of moves occurs because the member has physically moved to a new location outside of the Ward's boundaries. With the exception of the cell phone, that would invalidate the old information.

Boundary move is there for the exceptions.


I agree with you, but there can be many exceptions.

Along with the YSA ward moves, there are other moves such as different language units or just to move a member into the correct unit, because their current address is outside their current unit's boundaries.

I don't think the default should be to keep the current data (except for cell phones) when a move is initiated in MLS, but it would be nice to have a checkbox to retain the data if desired. This seems better/easier/less confusing than using the boundary realignment feature when the boundaries are not actually being realigned.

RossEvans
Senior Member
Posts: 1346
Joined: Wed Jun 11, 2008 8:52 pm
Location: Austin TX
Contact:

Postby RossEvans » Tue Apr 19, 2011 9:54 am

The clerk can always copy or rekey the address and phone data as appropriate when moving a record.

jdlessley
Community Moderators
Posts: 6526
Joined: Sun Mar 16, 2008 11:30 pm
Location: USA, TX

Postby jdlessley » Tue Apr 19, 2011 10:29 am

greggo wrote:I agree with you, but there can be many exceptions.

Along with the YSA ward moves, there are other moves such as different language units or just to move a member into the correct unit, because their current address is outside their current unit's boundaries.
The general rule in a majority of moves involves a change of address. Following that majority situation is what I believe was the determinant in setting the default.

greggo wrote:I don't think the default should be to keep the current data (except for cell phones) when a move is initiated in MLS, but it would be nice to have a checkbox to retain the data if desired. This seems better/easier/less confusing than using the boundary realignment feature when the boundaries are not actually being realigned.
I don't agree there should be a change in the default. Why create confusion and possibly create more work for a majority of the clerks for minority situations. But I do agree with the idea of having an option to change the default for those minority exceptions as you recommend.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the LDS.org Help Center page or the LDSTech wiki?

ericwerny
New Member
Posts: 17
Joined: Thu Jan 20, 2011 10:51 pm

Postby ericwerny » Tue Apr 19, 2011 12:23 pm

We at least the issue got discussed and some ideas came out of it. I like the idea of the check box to retain the info. And I do agree with the concept of retaining the phone number.

One thing that get ignored in all these processes is man hours and how long it take to perform a function, and the use of paper to print off records so the information can be reentered into the member transfer.

And I am saying this will a smile on my face - All MLS coders at Riverton need to be called to the position of Ward Clerk to get the real time feel of the Sunday insanity. :)

I just love it when you in the middle of tithing entry and a ward leader will come in and ask for a report, and you tell them sorry you'll have to wait. You see the "I want it now" mentality spring forth, and you're waiting for them to start stamping there feet because you tell them to come back in about an hour. I know many of you have experienced this one at least once in your life :) :) Life as a clerk --- IS AN ADVENTURE!!

jonesrk
Church Employee
Church Employee
Posts: 1454
Joined: Tue Jun 30, 2009 7:12 am
Location: Farmington, UT, USA

Postby jonesrk » Tue Apr 19, 2011 3:08 pm

ericwerny wrote:I just love it when you in the middle of tithing entry and a ward leader will come in and ask for a report, and you tell them sorry you'll have to wait. You see the "I want it now" mentality spring forth, and you're waiting for them to start stamping there feet because you tell them to come back in about an hour.

Actually it is possible with MLS. The real question is should you be interrupted. Depending on the leader and the need, then it is worth doing. For example, for our bishop I would almost always do it. For many others, I would make a note of what they want and print it for them after.

Within MLS you can click on the 'MLS' tab at the top and navigate to any report you want. When you are done with that report, you can go back to the deposit tab and continue the deposit. You can also get there via the menus at the top, and jump back with the tabs at any time. I have used this sometimes myself while entering donations to look up information to help enter a donation correctly.
Ryan Jones
CDOL Developer
Stake Technology Specialist - Software / Stake Assistant Clerk
Former Ward Clerk

lajackson
Community Moderators
Posts: 6139
Joined: Mon Mar 17, 2008 9:27 pm
Location: US

Postby lajackson » Tue Apr 19, 2011 9:17 pm

ericwerny wrote: I like the idea of the check box to retain the info. And I do agree with the concept of retaining the phone number.


Since so many members have cell phones and keep them when they move, I think the ability to keep the phone number is a good one.


Return to “Membership Help”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest