Can a person have their church membership record in two wards at the same time?

Discuss questions around local unit policies for membership (creating records, transferring records, etc.) This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
briankorale

Can a person have their church membership record in two wards at the same time?

Post by briankorale »

I haven't asked her yet why she wants to do this, but a sister emailed me asking if she is able to have her membership records in more than one ward? If no, great. If yes, how would we do this in MLS?
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

briankorale wrote:I haven't asked her yet why she wants to do this, but a sister emailed me asking if she is able to have her membership records in more than one ward? If no, great. If yes, how would we do this in MLS?
For those who serve in a calling in another ward or stake, that other unit can create Out of unit records. The real membership record does stay in the home ward -- a record can officially only be in one unit at a time. An out of unit record does work pretty much like a regular record in the other ward. But all the guidance we have received is that this is for people serving in callings, not for other purposes.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
briankorale

Here's why

Post by briankorale »

okay, I found out the reason this sister want to do it, is for her step daughter who spends 1/2 time in another ward with her biological mother and 1/2 time in our ward with her step mother. We have the families records, and I guess the bio mom wants her daughter to show up on class rolls, etc. when she attends with her.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

briankorale wrote:okay, I found out the reason this sister want to do it, is for her step daughter who spends 1/2 time in another ward with her biological mother and 1/2 time in our ward with her step mother. We have the families records, and I guess the bio mom wants her daughter to show up on class rolls, etc. when she attends with her.
Thanks for the clarification. Although the documentation about out of unit records does relate only to callings, I don't suppose there's any reason it couldn't be done for the situation you describe. Of course, it would have to be done by the clerk in the other ward, and that bishop would have to approve it.

As for class rolls, I'm not sure if she would be automatically added to classes based on her age when the out of unit membership record is created, but she certainly could be added manually if it isn't automatic. I think it would be automatic, but I can't test it out right now.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
SheffieldTR
Community Moderators

Post by SheffieldTR »

With the way our culture is these days, this happens more and more. The real concern happens when the "other" ward does not even know anything about these kids because the parent in that ward does not go to church. Trying to communicate with the second bishop has its challenges and does not always work. A second record sent to the second ward would not only help with this but also with interview schedules, callings and attendance just to mention a few benefits.
Trying to keep track of these kids in particular has its challenges and giving us a "second" record for the "second" ward would be a great tool! Anyone supporting MLS have any input?
Troy
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

SheffieldTR wrote: Trying to keep track of these kids in particular has its challenges and giving us a "second" record for the "second" ward would be a great tool! Anyone supporting MLS have any input?
I am not part of MLS support, but as a user, I agree in principle. My only concern is that there be a way to know that you have the "second" or "alternate" record, and are not the custodian of the real record.

For the most part, adding someone as an out of unit member works, but it is definitely a manual process and not a simple one. And then MLS does not always keep up as it would with a regular record.

Perhaps MLS could be set up so that a ward with the actual record could send a "copy" to another unit. That copy would behave as any other record, except that the new unit could only transfer the record back to the originating unit to inform them that the person is not (or is no longer) there.
Newt

Just what I have been trying to find out

Post by Newt »

This is great news.
Let me get this straight. So all I have to do is go into MLS and create a out of unit membership record? is that correct?

I'm the ward clerk for my ward. I have two members that have been called to a married student ward as the Bishop. Their records have been sent to their college wards. (normal) But we would like to have their records in our ward ( their physical address is within our ward boundries) so that they will still show on our records for Home teaching purposes. ( they are home teaching some non active people in our ward, these families will not allow any contact with anyone else affilated with the church, not even any of our Bishopric)

Thanks so much
Newt
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Newt wrote: I'm the ward clerk for my ward. I have two members that have been called to a married student ward as the Bishop. Their records have been sent to their college wards. (normal) But we would like to have their records in our ward ( their physical address is within our ward boundries) so that they will still show on our records for Home teaching purposes. ( they are home teaching some non active people in our ward, these families will not allow any contact with anyone else affilated with the church, not even any of our Bishopric)

The home ward should have the records. The ward/stake they've been called to serve in should use the Out of Unit membership record.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

Newt wrote:Let me get this straight. So all I have to do is go into MLS and create a out of unit membership record? is that correct?

So that you don't get in a tug-of-war with the college wards, you need to communicate with the bishop or clerk of those wards. But once you've done that, you do need to request the records back into your ward. You can point the clerks in those college wards to the wiki section on Out of unit records, and Page A-4 of the MLS Software Manual if they have any questions. But it is definitely not "normal" as you described it for college wards to pull the records of out-of-unit leaders; they are the ones who should be creating the out-of-unit membership records, not you. One thing that might be helpful for them to do is to print out the membership records before you pull them back; that way they will have all the details they need in order to create an out-of-unit membership record in their MLS.
Newt

Post by Newt »

aebrown wrote:, you need to communicate with the bishop or clerk of those wards.
Both Brothers in question are the Bishop of their ward. I have talked with one and he told me that his college ward did have a out of unit record of his membership. But the problem he could not work around is that he had no privilidges to access his college ward website. He called SLC and they told him just to request his records from our ward. So he did. This is the issue with both Brothers so that they can access their college ward websites. There for I will create a out of unit record in our ward.

Thanks for your help with this
you are the best

Newt

Return to “Membership Help”