Efficient technique for scrubbing membership

Discuss questions around local unit policies for membership (creating records, transferring records, etc.) This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
jfackerson

Post by jfackerson »

Nobody mentioned searching on-line "county land records", so I'll add that as a suggestion.
Find such on-line sites by using a search engine and text, such as,

(myCountyName) (myStateName) parcel search

Use "county's search engine" to discover who ownes property at address, recorded
on your copy of membership record.

Results should show "owners name(s)".
"Billing Street Address" is important, because if it's the same as
"Location Street Address" then owner probably is living at that address.

If "Billing Street Address" is different than "Location Street Address", then
dwelling is probably a rental.
With "Billing Post Office Address", one can not
be sure. Owner(s) could still be living at "Location Street Address", but
having their "property tax bill" sent to Post Office or they could be renting
to another person and with "owners" living somewhere else.

Often such "free county record sites" will also give information about
"property purchase date", thus allowing you to know how long
a family has lived within your ward. Sometimes it will also record
that "the ward member, which we are looking for" once owned that property
along with its date of sale -- thus, they've probably moved out; unless,
they "quit claimed" it to another extended family member (different surname),
in which case, they might still be there, being cared for, as they are disabled or elderly.

Another "scrubbing" source is www.FamilySearch.org.
Search for names within "Social Security Death Index".
We've found at least 5 members' names in this index.
Some members had passed to Spirit World over 2 years ago.
This also applies to their spouse. Some just aren't on this planet anymore,
but are still listed on membership record as married.

Another site to check would be

http://www.legacy.com/NS/

From here one can search for obituaries.
Accessing some older ones might cost about $2.00 each, but they
will provide "date and place of death", other family member names, etc.
nwilcox

Re: Efficient technique for scrubbing membership

Post by nwilcox »

Many great ideas and suggestions.

Here is a similar multi facet strategy that I have used as a ward clerk.

1. Provided each organization within the Ward Council and printer version of the ward directory.

2. Gave them a deadline of two weeks to review directory and high light the members that they did not know.

3. Once I received the directories back, I reviewed them/cross checked them against each other and in the end came up with a list of about 100 households that no one knew who they were.

4. Sent out letters to the identified households using the church's envelope with the words "return service requested" printed on it.

5. Approxinatley 45 letters were returned back with current address of household. Updated addresses, sent out records etc. based upon feedback. Had to deal some research in phone books and web resources to get most updated info.

6. We then divided remaining 55 households among Ward Council and Full Time Missionaries to visist and verify in person. 15 Additional households were identified as having moved out that the letters did not identify.

7. I have also provided additional training to the Relief Society, High Priest, and Elders Quorrum on differnt stratregies to find and locate the lost sheep to try and get them more involved in the entire process versus relying on the clerks so solve all problems. The Relief Society has been very helpful, the other two organizations........

8. I have provide feedback to the organizations that do provide me membership record update info. For example, I'll send an email to the Relief Society Visiting Teaching cordinator, I have shipped out the records for this family... They seem to be more willing to put in the extra effort when they see the information they provide being utilized immediately.
allasiamarco

Re: Efficient technique for scrubbing membership

Post by allasiamarco »

by any chance, can de church, make a section in the directory where un-know people can be drop. Because in Argentina is normal that some members don`t want to be found. if you send it away in 3 month you are going to have it back. And all is wrong the name, the adress and nobody knows them

Return to “Membership Help”