Membership Records need to keep paper copy

Discuss questions around local unit policies for membership (creating records, transferring records, etc.) This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
rodarlint

Membership Records need to keep paper copy

Post by rodarlint »

new ward clerk, is it necessary to keep a paper record on file in our ward of membership records? I would think mls and a backup would be sufficient, but the ward has also been keeping a paper copy of each membership record.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

rodarlint wrote:new ward clerk, is it necessary to keep a paper record on file in our ward of membership records? I would think mls and a backup would be sufficient, but the ward has also been keeping a paper copy of each membership record.
No, it's not necessary. But as long as the paper copies are properly secured, if your ward considers them useful enough to justify the cost and hassle of keeping them up to date, then you're certainly welcome to keep paper copies.

With the new variety of ways membership records can get updated electronically, it seems like it's getting harder and harder to keep a paper copy up to date. The wards in my stake have abandoned paper copies for this and other reasons.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
rodarlint

Post by rodarlint »

Thanks, I appreciate the information
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

It depends on what exactly you are taking about. If it's a paper copy of the membership record itself, no, there's really no requirement to keep them. Some bishops prefer to keep a paper copy rather then run to MLS every time they need to look something up. But if no one is using them, then dispose of them securely.

If you're talking about the report that's generated when a member moves into the ward, I would advise that you at least preview the report. It may indicate information that the bishop may need to know (such as the member is currently disfellowshipped). While that information is in MLS, it would be very easy to overlook.

If you're talking about the endless printouts that come from each send/receive, there is no requirement to keep them. However, you may find it useful to keep a "journal" of transactions because sooner or later someone will ask you as question that can not be answered except by reviewing what has been done. It may be a desire to request the membership records of someone who was moved out by mistake. For these types of reports, I'd suggest keeping them for the same length as the financial records - in the US that's 3 years plus the current year.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
kisaac
Community Moderators

Post by kisaac »

rodarlint wrote:new ward clerk, is it necessary to keep a paper record on file in our ward of membership records? I would think mls and a backup would be sufficient, but the ward has also been keeping a paper copy of each membership record.
In general, I'd recommend a "new ward clerk," keep doing whatever system you've been handed until you know all of the processes thoroughly. Once you know the routine, you'll see the areas for improvement.

Specifically, about keeping paper copies, we still print them out for the bishop, and file a copy. Although we don't refer to it often, I've pulled the book out enough to figure I'll keep it while I'm the clerk. RussellHltn is right on about the mistakes transferring records-sometimes the paper trail is the only way to fix an issue. Amazingly, it's the "sacrament meeting agenda" archive folder I reach for most, and that's the one I was going to stop keeping when I was called.
tortdog

Post by tortdog »

Am I the only one who gets a TON of paperwork every Sunday? Every time a person makes a change to his household (new cell, email, etc.), we get a full printout of the entire household. We are having to print and shred about 75 pages every week just from stuff like that.
atticusewig

Post by atticusewig »

tortdog wrote:Am I the only one who gets a TON of paperwork every Sunday? Every time a person makes a change to his household (new cell, email, etc.), we get a full printout of the entire household. We are having to print and shred about 75 pages every week just from stuff like that.

I've taken to print previewing each time it asks to print. If it is not something I need, I pick "cancel" and it moves to the next
batch of transactions to print. It will come up with a scary message about not being able to print anything later, but that
only applies to what you see in the preview window, it will move on to next set of printouts if you "cancel" printing the current
ones. Alternatively, you can do what a lot on the forum do, and just print to PDF if you think you might want to print the report
out later.

- Atticus

Return to “Membership Help”