When to Move Child Record to Head of Household

Discuss questions around local unit policies for membership (creating records, transferring records, etc.) This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Alan_Brown wrote:There are significant changes underway for YSA units, and the plan is for student units to cease to exist -- they would become YSA units.
Oh, my. Such a change from around 15 years ago when "a letter" closed down many language and singles wards, but didn't touch the student wards.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

RussellHltn wrote:Oh, my. Such a change from around 15 years ago when "a letter" closed down many language and singles wards, but didn't touch the student wards.
Well, my language was a bit strong. It's not like the student wards will be disbanded -- they will just become less specialized and will service all YSA in their boundaries. My guess is that in areas with a strong student presence the student unit structure will be mostly intact and will tend to absorb the much smaller YSA units in the area. But exactly how such units will be realigned will clearly be decided on a case-by-case basis.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
rpyne

Post by rpyne »

Alan_Brown wrote:Well, my language was a bit strong. It's not like the student wards will be disbanded -- they will just become less specialized and will service all YSA in their boundaries. My guess is that in areas with a strong student presence the student unit structure will be mostly intact and will tend to absorb the much smaller YSA units in the area. But exactly how such units will be realigned will clearly be decided on a case-by-case basis.
That could be interesting. In the case of my ward, that would split the YSAs into three different wards since our boundaries overlap with three different single student wards. The other challenge I see is that many of the student wards discontinue all meetings during the summer.
coletheelder

Post by coletheelder »

A young man in our Ward turned 18 on 1 Mar 2011. I validated his MLS organization assignments on 28 Feb 2011: he was assigned to the Priests Quorum and to Sunday School-Class 17. On 1 Mar 2011, MLS automatically assigned this member to the Young Single Adults, but left him in the Priests Quorum and Sunday School Class 17. I would have expected him to be assigned to the Elders Quorum and the Gospel Doctrine Sunday School Class -- except for the fact that he was 17 at the beginning of the school year!

I contacted MLS Support and was told that he should have been assigned to the Elders Quorum and Gospel Doctrine Class; obviously that did not happen. It was suggested that I report my findings via this venue. Personally, I think MLS Support changes the programming algorithm from time-to-time, as the opening Post in this thread seems to suggest. I think it is imperative that the "user" be informed of programming changes effecting their Church callings and that a definitive position be established.

But first I researched the new MLS Help PDF Manual and found two (2) references that tend to address this specific issue. (Many of the other related issues addressed in this thread, as far as I'm concerned, are separately delineated in the Help Manual and in the new CHI, Book 2.) Please review these 2 references and form your own inspired opinion: (1) Head of Household, (2) Young Single Adults.

Please note that in the 1st paragraph under 'young single adults' on p. 20 the wording, "...after graduation from high school...." The MLS Support tech to whom I spoke also referred to this criteria, and this indicates to me that these individuals are to be "advanced", so to speak, at age 18.

It should also be noted that anyone listed in the Directory as a "child", as part of a household organization, regardless of age, is NOT counted in the Ward Unit Statistics as a "Household". When these Young Single Adults and Single Adults are set up as their own Head-of-Household, this increases the Household Unit Statistic.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

coletheelder wrote:A young man in our Ward turned 18 on 1 Mar 2011. I validated his MLS organization assignments on 28 Feb 2011: he was assigned to the Priests Quorum and to Sunday School-Class 17. On 1 Mar 2011, MLS automatically assigned this member to the Young Single Adults, but left him in the Priests Quorum and Sunday School Class 17. I would have expected him to be assigned to the Elders Quorum and the Gospel Doctrine Sunday School Class -- except for the fact that he was 17 at the beginning of the school year!

It's correct that he would become a YSA, since the only definition of that is that a member has to be single and 18-30 years old.

However, he should not be moved automatically to the Elders Quorum, if he still is a Priest. In fact, he should never get moved to the Elders Quorum automatically, unless he is actually ordained an elder. If no ordination occurs, he will stay in the Priests Quorum until he turns 19, at which point he will become a prospective elder and be moved to the High Priests group organizationally (not by priesthood office, of course) because the HPG is responsible by default for prospective elders.

And the Sunday School class won't change automatically on his birthday, either, since those changes occur as the calendar year rolls over.
coletheelder wrote:I contacted MLS Support and was told that he should have been assigned to the Elders Quorum and Gospel Doctrine Class; obviously that did not happen. It was suggested that I report my findings via this venue.

The people in MLS Support do a great job most of the time, but sometimes they don't get the answer correct. The rep you talked with was most certainly wrong about Elders Quorum.
coletheelder wrote:Personally, I think MLS Support changes the programming algorithm from time-to-time, as the opening Post in this thread seems to suggest. I think it is imperative that the "user" be informed of programming changes effecting their Church callings and that a definitive position be established.

MLS Support is unable to change the programming algorithm. That is done by the developers. And I saw no suggestion of that in the OP, anyway.
coletheelder wrote:But first I researched the new MLS Help PDF Manual and found two (2) references that tend to address this specific issue. (Many of the other related issues addressed in this thread, as far as I'm concerned, are separately delineated in the Help Manual and in the new CHI, Book 2.) Please review these 2 references and form your own inspired opinion: (1) Head of Household, (2) Young Single Adults.

Please note that in the 1st paragraph under 'young single adults' on p. 20 the wording, "...after graduation from high school...." The MLS Support tech to whom I spoke also referred to this criteria, and this indicates to me that these individuals are to be "advanced", so to speak, at age 18.

MLS does have some default behavior at the beginning of a year and at birthdays. However, some of that behavior of moving people to different organizations can be overridden at the bishop's direction. MLS usually implements the most common behavior automatically, but allows you to change it as needed.
coletheelder wrote:It should also be noted that anyone listed in the Directory as a "child", as part of a household organization, regardless of age, is NOT counted in the Ward Unit Statistics as a "Household". When these Young Single Adults and Single Adults are set up as their own Head-of-Household, this increases the Household Unit Statistic.

That's true. It doesn't really relate to the rest of this post, however. Splitting a person into a separate household always requires manual action -- it never happens on a birthday or any other calendar event.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
coletheelder

Head of Household Count and Skewed Unit Statistics

Post by coletheelder »

aebrown wrote: That's true. It doesn't really relate to the rest of this post, however. Splitting a person into a separate household always requires manual action -- it never happens on a birthday or any other calendar event.

I apparently mixed apples and oranges when talking about organizations as well as a Head of Household. But the opening post in this thread is entitled, "When to Move Child Record to Head of Household", and this specific question has not been answered, definitively, at least from what I can tell. If Unit Statistics are important and used as a measure at any level by the Church, but let's say Ward and Stake, for example (I don't know where the measuring begins or ends), then the "Head of Household" statistic is skewed by an undefined "manual" operation because our Ward had 30, 40, and 50-year old Single Adults still listed as a "child record". Is the "Head of Household" unit statistic is important, specifically, at the Ward level, then when should I manually make that child record their own head of household?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

coletheelder wrote:But the opening post in this thread is entitled, "When to Move Child Record to Head of Household", and this specific question has not been answered, definitively, at least from what I can tell.

Definitive answer: It's up to the bishop to decide what's in the best interest of the member(s) involved.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
coletheelder

Post by coletheelder »

aebrown wrote:However, he should not be moved automatically to the Elders Quorum, if he still is a Priest. In fact, he should never get moved to the Elders Quorum automatically, unless he is actually ordained an elder. If no ordination occurs, he will stay in the Priests Quorum until he turns 19, at which point he will become a prospective elder and be moved to the High Priests group organizationally (not by priesthood office, of course) because the HPG is responsible by default for prospective elders.
(I should have used a Multi-Quote for the previous reply, I'm still learning.) I am confused when, as you say, "...a prospective elder (is) moved to the High Priests group organizationally (not by priesthood office, of course). Weekly/Monthly Attendance records can only be generated for those members listed in the either the Elders Quorum or High Priests Group. (1) With which priesthood organization do the =>19 year-old prospective elders meet during Priesthood?
(2) Which organization is then responsible for the Weekly/Monthly Attendance records which, in turn, impacts data accumulation for the Quarterly Report?
coletheelder

Post by coletheelder »

aebrown wrote:However, he should not be moved automatically to the Elders Quorum, if he still is a Priest. In fact, he should never get moved to the Elders Quorum automatically, unless he is actually ordained an elder. If no ordination occurs, he will stay in the Priests Quorum until he turns 19, at which point he will become a prospective elder and be moved to the High Priests group organizationally (not by priesthood office, of course) because the HPG is responsible by default for prospective elders.
Then, at what point in time does a Laurel move to the Relief Society organization?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

coletheelder wrote:(I should have used a Multi-Quote for the previous reply, I'm still learning.) I am confused when, as you say, "...a prospective elder (is) moved to the High Priests group organizationally (not by priesthood office, of course). Weekly/Monthly Attendance records can only be generated for those members listed in the either the Elders Quorum or High Priests Group. (1) With which priesthood organization do the =>19 year-old prospective elders meet during Priesthood?
(2) Which organization is then responsible for the Weekly/Monthly Attendance records which, in turn, impacts data accumulation for the Quarterly Report?
Handbook 2, 7.6.1:

"Quorum and group leaders have the responsibility to help prospective elders prepare to receive the Melchizedek Priesthood. The bishop counsels with quorum and group leaders and each prospective elder to determine whether the prospective elder should meet with the elders quorum or the high priests group for instruction and activities. The bishop considers the relationships the prospective elder may have with the elders or high priests in the ward and the age and needs of the prospective elder.
[...]
"Quorum and group leaders invite prospective elders to attend quorum or group meetings and activities."

So, a prospective elder could be assigned to the Elders Quorum or the High Priest's Quorum. I'd assume the assigned quorum would be responsible for the roles for their assigned members.

coletheelder wrote:Then, at what point in time does a Laurel move to the Relief Society organization?

Handbook 2, 9.1.4:
"A young woman normally advances into Relief Society on her 18th birthday or in the coming year. By age 19, each young woman should be fully participating in Relief Society. Because of individual circumstances, such as personal testimony and maturity, school graduation, desire to continue with peers, and college attendance, a young woman may advance into Relief Society earlier than her 18th birthday or remain in Young Women longer. Each young woman counsels with her parents and the bishop to decide what will best help her remain an active participant in the Church.

"Young Women and Relief Society leaders work together to make the transition into Relief Society successful for each young woman.'

Return to “Membership Help”