When to Move Child Record to Head of Household

Discuss questions around local unit policies for membership (creating records, transferring records, etc.) This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

idjeeper wrote:Our stake has made it clear that they expect them to go to the branch unless there is some issue that makes that not possible.
The last time I read the Handbook, I found that it had a very different "attitude" about it.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
freedom55

Post by freedom55 »

It sounds like most options have been explored. Just to chime in my 2 cents - I ask our ward clerks to separate YSAs when they have their own home teachers. If they are still living with their family and visited by the "family HT", then they are not a HoH. One HT per family (or HoH) is the guiding rule here.
idjeeper2

Post by idjeeper2 »

RussellHltn wrote:The last time I read the Handbook, I found that it had a very different "attitude" about it.
Can you please give me a reference? I would like to know if we are doing it wrong.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

IIRC, the jist was that it seems that having singles in a family ward was preferred, but that the singles could go to a singles ward.

I know when I was in that age bracket, some singles didn't want to go the singles ward. I think they enjoyed the callings they had as part of a family ward, but that's just speculation.

At any rate, it's something that the appropriate leaders may want to consult the manual.

When I had access to it, I found the manual to be somewhat like the scriptures - you always got something new out of each each time you read it because you were finding answers to problems you didn't know existed the first time your read it.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

idjeeper wrote:
RussellHltn wrote:The last time I read the Handbook, I found that it had a very different "attitude" about it.
Can you please give me a reference? I would like to know if we are doing it wrong.
For example, priesthood leaders may gain some insights from CHI Book 1 [2006], p 168, the beginning of the first paragraph under "Single Member Wards and Branches." Similar language is on p 126.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
idjeeper2

Post by idjeeper2 »

Thanks, I will check those pages out tomorrow.
idjeeper2

Post by idjeeper2 »

Thought I had better return and report. I read the CHI references and see where the concern lies, especially with respect to 18-20 year-olds. I think I also overstated what my Stake expects. The guidance they give is that for YSAs, there are three options: stay in the family ward, go to the YSA Branch, or if, and only if, they are a student, they can go to the university ward/branch. They then go on to say that since the stake has a YSA branch, they encourage them to go there (not require). I got my original interpretation from some of the bishops who basically said, you're 18 and graduated so you're out of here. For most of the YSAs that was fine with them, but I know of a few who really wanted to stay with family. We have some training to do.

I also think that Russell was right on with comparing the CHI to the scriptures. In fact the opening paragraphs say that leaders are expected to read and apply the instructions with the guidance of the spirit.

Sorry to the original poster for the hijack, but thanks to all for the opinions expressed.
GreyWolf68

Post by GreyWolf68 »

idjeeper wrote:The guidance they give is that for YSAs, there are three options: stay in the family ward, go to the YSA Branch, or if, and only if, they are a student, they can go to the university ward/branch.
As a ward clerk in a YSA ward, my understanding is that the university wards have become simply YSA wards, including all young single adults within the ward's geographical area, unless they choose to attend a conventional ward.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

GreyWolf wrote:As a ward clerk in a YSA ward, my understanding is that the university wards have become simply YSA wards, including all young single adults within the ward's geographical area, unless they choose to attend a conventional ward.
The correct phrase seems to be "student", and they still exist.

It's not unheard of for local leaders to ignore the "student" part and accept all singles in the area.

aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

RussellHltn wrote:The correct phrase seems to be "student", and they still exist.

It's not unheard of for local leaders to ignore the "student" part and accept all singles in the area.

There are significant changes underway for YSA units, and the plan is for student units to cease to exist -- they would become YSA units. That has already happened in some areas, but as far as I know, it has not been broadly implemented quite yet.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.

Return to “Membership Help”