Baptism of children whose parents are divorced (keeping legal documents)

Discuss questions around local unit policies for membership (creating records, transferring records, etc.) This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
New Member
Posts: 1
Joined: Sat Apr 12, 2008 10:29 pm
Location: Cedar City, UT

Baptism of children whose parents are divorced (keeping legal documents)

Postby brycecaine » Sun May 16, 2010 4:54 pm

I read in the Church Handbook of Instructions (2006) that a child of divorced parents may be baptized if the parent(s) with legal custody give permission (p. 33). This happened in our Ward, and our Bishop gave me copies of some legal documents that represent the termination of the parent-child relationship of one of the parents (not the parent who the child lives with and who permitted the child to be baptized). My Bishop gave these documents to me in case we need to keep copies on file. Does anyone know if a Ward needs to keep copies of such legal documents in this type of a circumstance? The CHI didn't seem to mention this specific detail on page 33.

Thanks in advance!
Bryce Caine
Valley View Ward Clerk
Cedar City, UT

New Member
Posts: 6
Joined: Wed Jul 30, 2008 8:39 pm

Postby clarkdz-p40 » Fri May 21, 2010 7:11 pm

When I was bishop, I would have kept that in my private file in my desk in case it was ever needed. I cleaned out that file when I was released, but left those things that the new bishop needed to have. It would have just got lost if I gave it to my clerks


Return to “Membership Help”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest