Broken Household Records

Discuss questions around local unit policies for membership (creating records, transferring records, etc.) This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
lajackson
Community Moderators
Posts: 6144
Joined: Mon Mar 17, 2008 9:27 pm
Location: US

Broken Household Records

Postby lajackson » Fri May 14, 2010 9:06 pm

We received a new computer for the stake, installed it, and restored the database for the current computer.

18 families broke. Husbands are not married to wives, wives are not married to husbands. In most cases, the husband has a head of household record with him as the only member of the household, and in most cases, the wife no longer has a head of household record, although in several cases, the situation is reversed.

A review of the old data on the old computer shows that these families were not broken when the backup was made for the transfer.

We plan to do a member refresh, but there are so many units in the stake that the display runs off the bottom of the screen and we cannot get to the Ok button. But that has already been discussed in another thread.

Has anyone seen a large breakage of families such as we have just experienced? Did a member refresh work? Or did you have to manually rebuild the families to get them back together?

jbh001
Community Moderators
Posts: 854
Joined: Thu Mar 13, 2008 5:17 pm
Location: Las Vegas, NV

Postby jbh001 » Sat May 15, 2010 7:30 am

I know that this sounds like "are you sure <insert non-functioning electrical appliance here> is plugged in," but...

Were the computer making the backup and the computer restoring from the backup both using the same version of MLS?

Did the new computer come with MLS pre-installed, or did you manually do a clean install of MLS on the new computer before restoring the back up?

I can't find the thread about the display running off the bottom of the screen. Can you increase the resolution on the display (i.e. from 800x600 to 1280x1024, or some other such increase) to prevent the "okay" button from being pushed off the bottom of the window?

russellhltn
Community Administrator
Posts: 20767
Joined: Sat Jan 20, 2007 2:53 pm
Location: U.S.

Postby russellhltn » Sat May 15, 2010 10:26 am

How was the database restored?

If it was done though the MLS backup/restore feature, then I think the MLS version must match (or be higher) or else the restore would be refused. Also, during a MLS restore, the records are re-indexed. I see the possibility that the restore function has a bug. But since restore is so rarely done, it hasn't been discovered and reported until now.

If the restore was done by file transfer of the data directory, then I think verifying the versions of MLS involved would be a wise idea.
Have you searched the Wiki?
Try using a Google search by adding "site:tech.lds.org/wiki" to the search criteria.

lajackson
Community Moderators
Posts: 6144
Joined: Mon Mar 17, 2008 9:27 pm
Location: US

Postby lajackson » Sun May 16, 2010 6:48 pm

jbh001 wrote:Were the computer making the backup and the computer restoring from the backup both using the same version of MLS?


Yes.

jbh001 wrote:Did the new computer come with MLS pre-installed, or did you manually do a clean install of MLS on the new computer before restoring the back up?


MLS was not pre-installed. We installed it using the latest version from the MLS site. The old computer was running 3.1.5 and we installed 3.1.5 on the new computer.

jbh001 wrote:I can't find the thread about the display running off the bottom of the screen. Can you increase the resolution on the display (i.e. from 800x600 to 1280x1024, or some other such increase) to prevent the "okay" button from being pushed off the bottom of the window?


Faulty memory mode here. It was a discussion on a different topic (the lines that are still missing from the quarterly report).

We will try temporarily resizing the display resolution. That ought to work.

RussellHltn wrote:How was the database restored?

If it was done though the MLS backup/restore feature, then I think the MLS version must match (or be higher) or else the restore would be refused.


Correct. (I just posted a new thread where we got caught on this just today.) We restored through the normal MLS backup/restore feature. It was a required restore, because there was not data in MLS after it was freshly installed.

RussellHltn wrote:Also, during a MLS restore, the records are re-indexed. I see the possibility that the restore function has a bug. But since restore is so rarely done, it hasn't been discovered and reported until now.


We actually do the restore function quite often, and have never had this problem before. I am checking another restore to see if it has the same problem. I am also going back to an earlier backup to see if the problem was there before, but had not been noticed.

RussellHltn wrote:If the restore was done by file transfer of the data directory, then I think verifying the versions of MLS involved would be a wise idea.


I agree, but this does not apply here.

User avatar
kh_design
Member
Posts: 85
Joined: Wed Feb 06, 2008 2:57 pm
Location: ..
Contact:

Copy/Replace the whole folder LDS Church\MLS and AFARIA

Postby kh_design » Mon May 17, 2010 10:40 am

To Move/Transfer MLS from your old computer to your new computer.

Delete the folder LDS Church\MLS from your new computer C:\Program Files\
Delete the folder AFARIA from your new computer C:\

Copy/Replace the whole folder LDS Church\MLS from your old computer to your new computer C:\Program Files\
Copy/Replace the whole folder AFARIA from your old computer to your new computer C:\

Open MLS on your new computer.

russellhltn
Community Administrator
Posts: 20767
Joined: Sat Jan 20, 2007 2:53 pm
Location: U.S.

Postby russellhltn » Mon May 17, 2010 10:57 am

kh_design wrote:Open MLS on your new computer.


Assuming you've previously installed the same version on the computer, that should work.

You'll still need to call the Area Office/SLC to reset the security before you can do a successful send/receive.
Have you searched the Wiki?

Try using a Google search by adding "site:tech.lds.org/wiki" to the search criteria.


Return to “Membership Help”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest