Tracking down membership number

Discuss questions around local unit policies for membership (creating records, transferring records, etc.) This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
Posts: 75
Joined: Tue Jan 27, 2009 8:17 am
Location: US

Tracking down membership number

Postby colbyj-p40 » Sun Apr 25, 2010 10:46 am

Hello, I am a stake clerk. A Bishop gave me an interesting "case" to assist with. He has a member who moved away, and has now returned to the ward. The problem is they cannot get his records because they cannot determine this brother's member number.

The brother provided certificates and information for when he was ordained an Elder, and when he received his patriarchal blessing. The problem is this brother cannot verify his birthdate. He is from a part of the world that does not record this info very accurately, and the brother cannot remember which date was used previously. He has dates from immigration documents, but this date did not work when the ward tried to request his records.

Question: if we provide to the church this brother's Melchizedek PH ordination info, as well as his patriarchal blessing number/date would the Church be able to locate his member number and records? We can provide his name as well.

The ward keeps getting the request kicked back because the birthdate is not correct, and the brother is not able to help much with this.

What number should the Bishop call?
thank you

Community Administrator
Posts: 24573
Joined: Sat Jan 20, 2007 2:53 pm
Location: U.S.

Postby russellhltn » Sun Apr 25, 2010 11:08 am

1-800-453-3860, extension 23500
Have you searched the Wiki?
Try using a Google search by adding "" to the search criteria.

Community Moderators
Posts: 854
Joined: Thu Mar 13, 2008 5:17 pm
Location: Las Vegas, NV

Postby jbh001 » Sun Apr 25, 2010 9:11 pm

How long ago did he move away before moving back?

Was it recent enough that he might still be on the Members Moved Out report?

Assuming the financial retention period hasn't passed, did he ever make a donation in the ward before moving out such that he still might be listed as a donor in the ward's MLS?

Is there a possibility that there might be an old printout in the filing cabinet that shows his record being moved out or requested out that has enough information on it to re-request the record?

If the bishop calls Clerk Support, does the bishop also have information on this person's parents, spouse, siblings, or children that might help them locate the correct member record?

Posts: 75
Joined: Tue Jan 27, 2009 8:17 am
Location: US

Postby colbyj-p40 » Sun May 02, 2010 11:38 am

thank you, this is all great information. I will pass along to the Bishop.

Return to “Membership Help”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest