Priesthood ordinations not recorded. What now?

Discuss questions around local unit policies for membership (creating records, transferring records, etc.) This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
oh8clerk-p40

Priesthood ordinations not recorded. What now?

Post by oh8clerk-p40 »

One of our members insists he received both the Aaronic Priesthood and Melchizedek Priesthood in the Summer of 2006 but it doesn't show in his membership records. My question is simple: How do I proceed?
techgy
Community Moderators

Post by techgy »

oh8clerk wrote:One of our members insists he received both the Aaronic Priesthood and Melchizedek Priesthood in the Summer of 2006 but it doesn't show in his membership records. My question is simple: How do I proceed?
I'd start by searching the records of the ward he was part of in 2006.
If nothing shows up and a search of CHQ records shows nothing, then find out who was in attendance at the ordinations. From the testimony of 2 or more others you can usually get a date and proceed in creating the record.

I had this happen to me many years ago when I was a membership clerk years before we had either MIS or MLS systems. A member of the ward was serving as a member of the Seventy's quorum in the stake but the ordination never showed up on his record. After we contacted a couple of people who were there when he was ordained we updated his record with an estimated date and issued a certificate.
Have you read the Code of Conduct?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

First, I think I'd call CHQ and make sure there isn't a duplicate record some where with the information.

Next, I think you'll find instructions in the CHI. Hopefully someone can tell you the page number. But Techgy gave the general idea.

I find it a bit odd that he'd receive both in the same summer, but I could be wrong about that.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
greggo

Post by greggo »

RussellHltn wrote:... I find it a bit odd that he'd receive both in the same summer, but I could be wrong about that.
For adult male new converts, this is often the case. They should be ordained a Priest immediately, and there's no official waiting period for ordination to Elder (in my previous stake - the goal was within 3 months).
sgtbrown26-p40

Post by sgtbrown26-p40 »

We normal waited about one year for a new convert. That way they received the Melchizedek priesthood around the same time they were planning to go to the temple. This allowed time for the member to develop their testimony and live their covenants. This is not the rule, but what I have seen in most wards. That's the wonderful thing about revelation, the spirit will guide the decision for each leader working with new members.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

Greggo wrote:. . . and there's no official waiting period for ordination to Elder (in my previous stake - the goal was within 3 months).
sgtbrown26 wrote:We normal waited about one year for a new convert. That way they received the Melchizedek priesthood around the same time they were planning to go to the temple. This allowed time for the member to develop their testimony and live their covenants. This is not the rule, but what I have seen in most wards. That's the wonderful thing about revelation, the spirit will guide the decision for each leader working with new members.
And just to fill in the range, we usually run about 6-8 months. Here, it is felt that they need an opportunity to pay tithing and demonstrate the ability to keep other commandments, but that if they are worthy they should be ordained and be elders as they prepare to go to the temple, hopefully at the one-year point.

As has been mentioned, there is no time limit for elder ordination. But, there is a one year minimum time from confirmation for live ordinances.

But in the original case, both baptism and elder ordination could have taken place during the same summer, one probably early in the summer, and one later on.
oh8clerk-p40

Post by oh8clerk-p40 »

If no witnesses can be tracked down, and no record exists in church headquarters, then do we simply redo the ordinations?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Double-check the CHI, but I think that's what it comes down to.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

oh8clerk wrote:If no witnesses can be tracked down, and no record exists in church headquarters, then do we simply redo the ordinations?
Yes, but be sure to read the Handbook first, especially if other ordinances (i.e., temple) have been performed based on the Melchizedek Priesthood ordination.

The bishop may wish to counsel with his stake president first to make sure all other avenues of information have been exhausted.
pzells

What if MP recieved after endowment?

Post by pzells »

A member went through the temple, but the MP ordination was not recorded beforehand. Once I looked further into it, I found out that he was sustained in stake conference, but the ordination never occurred. Now he received MP, but he has already been through the temple a month before.

What now is that ok to stay with a MP date after his endowment date?

Return to “Membership Help”