Remove Fathers Name from Record

Discuss questions around local unit policies for membership (creating records, transferring records, etc.) This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
New Member
Posts: 1
Joined: Sun Apr 11, 2010 3:41 pm
Location: Orem, UT, USA

Remove Fathers Name from Record

Postby adrands-p40 » Sun Apr 11, 2010 3:52 pm

I am new to the MLS program (last time I was clerk, it was in the era of MIS) and I have a question that might not be applicable here. But here I go...

A member desires to remove her ex from her childrens records. Her ex is currently in jail and will be in there apparently a long time. She does not want his name listed on the records. First, is it even possible to just remove the father from the record and not have any listed? Second, are there any rules or polices that you know that precludes me from removing him from the records? If so, what are those rules? I am looking for guidance.

Community Moderators
Posts: 6733
Joined: Sun Mar 16, 2008 11:30 pm
Location: USA, TX

Postby jdlessley » Sun Apr 11, 2010 6:25 pm

The Church Handbook of Instructions does not have anything covering this specific situation. A clerk cannot just remove information of this nature from a record without instructions from proper authority. Since this case most likely has more affecting it than what has been provided you should counsel with the bishop. If the bishop hasn't done so, he should counsel with the sister about the need to have the father's name removed from the children's records. The CHI states that the Church administration office should be contacted for situations that are not addressed in the CHI.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the Help Center page or the LDSTech wiki?

Community Moderators
Posts: 854
Joined: Thu Mar 13, 2008 5:17 pm
Location: Las Vegas, NV

Postby jbh001 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 8:36 pm

I would also think that documentation would need to be provided to show that the natural father's parental rights had been legally terminated/forfeited. Again this is why consultation with the local priesthood leadership is needed, because each case is different.

Return to “Membership Help”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests