Correcting membership records that are missing data

Discuss questions around local unit policies for membership (creating records, transferring records, etc.) This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
colbyj-p40

Correcting membership records that are missing data

Post by colbyj-p40 »

Hello, a member of my Stake Presidency asked me about the following (I've removed names/location):

"there is a member in their ward who has a membership record, but it does not reflect his ordination to Elder, his mission, or his endowment in the temple. He was born in El Salvador, and served his mission in ...., and was endowed in the Mexico temple. The ward leaders have tried to help him track down witnesses so these ordinances could be recorded, but have been unsuccessful. It seems likely that the Church should have some record of him if he went on a mission and was endowed in the temple. Could you call Salt Lake and see what they can do to help us out?"

any suggestions? Thank you.
freedom55

Post by freedom55 »

A couple of suggestions:

1/ Call the missionary dept at the church office building. They keep records on missionaries so should be able to fill in the blanks in that aspect.

2/ Have the member register on NewFamilySearch. That database contains all of the records, including temple records, so should show his temple endowment. He has to sign in because no one else can view a living member's records.

3/ Have his bishop call the confidential records section at CHQ. They may have some information that is not apparent at first glance.

Hope that helps.
colbyj-p40

Post by colbyj-p40 »

thank you, will do. appreciate the info
eblood66

Post by eblood66 »

Freedom55 wrote:2/ Have the member register on NewFamilySearch. That database contains all of the records, including temple records, so should show his temple endowment. He has to sign in because no one else can view a living member's records.
Actually, New FamilySearch doesn't show ordinances for any living member, even for yourself. It refers you to your ward or branch clerk for that information.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

This is a situation that I think the best course of action is to call Local Unit Support/Clerk Support and talk with them.

The Church does have historical records that can be searched. Also, it appears this record came from a different area. It may require a search of that area offices records.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
LTORDUSA1-p40

Missing Membership information

Post by LTORDUSA1-p40 »

I have had this problem before and it was caused by the member not being in the Salt Lake membership database but was in a foreign country database. The office in SLC had to bring his record to my MIS computer.
jonesrk
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by jonesrk »

LTORDUSA1 wrote:I have had this problem before and it was caused by the member not being in the Salt Lake membership database but was in a foreign country database. The office in SLC had to bring his record to my MIS computer.
I don't think that is the problem anymore. They have consolidated all of the foreign country databases into the one central SLC database.

Return to “Membership Help”