Creation of New Ward

Discuss questions around local unit policies for membership (creating records, transferring records, etc.) This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
jthughes-p40

Creation of New Ward

Post by jthughes-p40 »

We will be dividing a ward in our stake and creating a new ward from it. I am trying to better understand the process. The creation of the new ward has been approved and we have the new unit number. I have read how to go into the existing wards MLS and make the boundary realignment household moves. Once assigning the households that will go tot he new ward you then send/receive changes. I am wondering if before doing this and send/receiving changes does the computer and MLS need to be set up at the new ward first? What does the new ward do to get all of the new families populated in to their MLS? When the new ward transmits for the first time are all of these members and households received at that time? Does all of each members financial donation information transfer as well or is there something special that needs to be done on the financial side?

Thank you

Brother Jeff Hughes
Stake Clerk
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

jthughes wrote:We will be dividing a ward in our stake and creating a new ward from it. I am trying to better understand the process. The creation of the new ward has been approved and we have the new unit number. I have read how to go into the existing wards MLS and make the boundary realignment household moves. Once assigning the households that will go tot he new ward you then send/receive changes. I am wondering if before doing this and send/receiving changes does the computer and MLS need to be set up at the new ward first? What does the new ward do to get all of the new families populated in to their MLS? When the new ward transmits for the first time are all of these members and households received at that time? Does all of each members financial donation information transfer as well or is there something special that needs to be done on the financial side?
It makes more sense to move the records out of the existing ward first. Then you can set up the new ward's MLS computer, and sometime a few hours later that ward can do a Send/Receive and you should receive the records for those members. It doesn't really matter whether you set up the new ward's computer before or after you move out the membership records, but until those moves have been processed by CHQ, there will be no records for the new ward to receive.

As for the financial information, it is the same as with any situation where a member moves from one ward to another -- the financial records up to that point remain with the ward where the donations were made. The old ward should at some point print out 2010 tax statements for any members who donated in 2010, but the new ward will have no record of any donations made by members to the old ward.
jthughes-p40

Post by jthughes-p40 »

Thank you this helps me to better understand the process for membership and financial.

Brother Hughes

Return to “Membership Help”