Elder to become HPG Assistant

Discuss questions around local unit policies for membership (creating records, transferring records, etc.) This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
zaneclark
Senior Member
Posts: 907
Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2008 4:34 pm
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Contact:

Elder to become HPG Assistant

Postby zaneclark » Thu Dec 24, 2009 10:39 am

Just a folllow-up as to why I was looking for a manual and how I resolved the problem. We have man who was called as an assistant in the High Priests who is not a HP. The program would not allow his name to be listed in this position and that was what I was trying to find in manual or online. Finally I opened the Elder's group, and noticed the word "remove" by each name. I was a little hesitant to click on this, not sure exactly what this meant,but I did click it after his name and the screen opend allowing me to place him in a different organization. I did this and he is now listed in his proper place in HP leadership. I am sure this is really basic to most of you, but it is this kind of detail that seems to be lacking in the online help screens for us novices.

greggo
Member
Posts: 272
Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2008 9:36 am
Location: Paw Paw, MI, USA

Elder to become HPG Assistant

Postby greggo » Thu Dec 24, 2009 7:59 pm

zaneclark wrote:Just a folllow-up as to why I was looking for a manual and how I resolved the problem. We have man who was called as an assistant in the High Priests who is not a HP. The program would not allow his name to be listed in this position and that was what I was trying to find in manual or online...


I hope he was ordained a HP before he was set apart.:D

lajackson
Community Moderators
Posts: 6138
Joined: Mon Mar 17, 2008 9:27 pm
Location: US

Postby lajackson » Thu Dec 24, 2009 9:00 pm

Greggo wrote:I hope he was ordained a HP before he was set apart.:D


Often, that is why the call is made.

zaneclark
Senior Member
Posts: 907
Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2008 4:34 pm
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Contact:

Postby zaneclark » Sat Dec 26, 2009 12:50 pm

Greggo wrote:I hope he was ordained a HP before he was set apart.:D


He is still an Elder and I am not sure if he was set apart for his HP calling. Is there a requirement that they have to be ordained a HP before being set apart?

jdlessley
Community Moderators
Posts: 6526
Joined: Sun Mar 16, 2008 11:30 pm
Location: USA, TX

Postby jdlessley » Sat Dec 26, 2009 1:21 pm

zaneclark wrote:He is still an Elder and I am not sure if he was set apart for his HP calling. Is there a requirement that they have to be ordained a HP before being set apart?
The only mention I could find that indicates an assistant to the High Priest Group Leader should be a High Priest is in the CHI, Book 2, p 164. As far as setting apart - that information is provided in the CHI, Book 1, p 47. It indicates that a member should be set apart before then begin serving. From those two pieces of information an elder called to be an assistant to the High Priests group leader should be ordained a High Priest and then set apart as an assistant to the High Priest group leader. Normally the sustaining vote for the ordination is done during either stake conference or a general priesthood meeting. However if the ordaining needs to be done before either of these two meetings they are presented in their ward sacrament meetings for a sustaining vote and then ratified at stake conference or a general priesthood meeting.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the LDS.org Help Center page or the LDSTech wiki?

russellhltn
Community Administrator
Posts: 20754
Joined: Sat Jan 20, 2007 2:53 pm
Location: U.S.

Postby russellhltn » Sat Dec 26, 2009 1:28 pm

zaneclark wrote:Is there a requirement that they have to be ordained a HP before being set apart?


Unless otherwise stated, I'd think that he'd have to be a member of that quorum before he could be called to a position in it.

What is the policy of putting an elder into a HP quorum?
Have you searched the Wiki?
Try using a Google search by adding "site:tech.lds.org/wiki" to the search criteria.

greggo
Member
Posts: 272
Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2008 9:36 am
Location: Paw Paw, MI, USA

Postby greggo » Sat Dec 26, 2009 2:27 pm

jdlessley wrote:However if the ordaining needs to be done before either of these two meetings they are presented in their ward sacrament meetings for a sustaining vote and then ratified at stake conference or a general priesthood meeting.


Can you clarify this point? I thought it was sustained in each of the ward priesthood meetings if a stake meeting was not happening soon (but maybe Sac Meetings would suffice?).

lajackson
Community Moderators
Posts: 6138
Joined: Mon Mar 17, 2008 9:27 pm
Location: US

Postby lajackson » Sat Dec 26, 2009 3:15 pm

Greggo wrote:Can you clarify this point? I thought it was sustained in each of the ward priesthood meetings if a stake meeting was not happening soon (but maybe Sac Meetings would suffice?).


jdlessley has it exactly right. If a proposal to ordain to an office in the Melchizedek Priesthood cannot wait until stake conference or stake priesthood meeting, the sustaining vote takes place in the sacrament meeting in the ward where the brother resides. The proposal does not need to be sustained in other sacrament meetings around the stake.

The ordination is then ratified at the next stake conference or priesthood meeting.

Sustaining for Aaronic priesthood ordinations should also take place in sacrament meeting, not priesthood meeting.

Refer to CHI Book 1 pp 39-40.

User avatar
kalnius
Member
Posts: 95
Joined: Mon Nov 30, 2009 8:25 am
Location: California, USA

Postby kalnius » Sun Dec 27, 2009 8:19 pm

I don't want to sound to obvious here, but...

It seems to me that if the elder was called to be an assistant in the HP group - as has been pointed out - he would be ordained a high priest first. Once that happened, the clerk would enter the ordination in MLS.

After that, it shouldn't be a problem assigning him the position in the HP quorum in MLS.

Am I right?

lajackson
Community Moderators
Posts: 6138
Joined: Mon Mar 17, 2008 9:27 pm
Location: US

Postby lajackson » Sun Dec 27, 2009 8:27 pm

Ozzy wrote:I don't want to sound to obvious here, but...

It seems to me that if the elder was called to be an assistant in the HP group - as has been pointed out - he would be ordained a high priest first. Once that happened, the clerk would enter the ordination in MLS.

After that, it shouldn't be a problem assigning him the position in the HP quorum in MLS.

Am I right?


Yes. I think the part about being ordained a high priest first is the missing piece that was causing zaneclark the problem.


Return to “Membership Help”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest