How to update a record not in my ward?

Discuss questions around local unit policies for membership (creating records, transferring records, etc.) This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
cooleric1234-p40

How to update a record not in my ward?

Post by cooleric1234-p40 »

In the course of verifying the accuracy of a member's records I gave him his IOS to look over. The only change he had was for his parents, the birth year was wrong. At least one of the parents is deceased (maybe both, I have to find out) and they didn't live in our ward. How do I go about trying to change their records? Does he need to provide some sort of official document (birth or death certificate)? If so, who does he show it to? Thanks.
calebpusey

Post by calebpusey »

Out of unit record updates have to be done in the ward where the member resides. If the individual is deceased, then the update can be made by Clerk Support.
Caleb
crislapi

Post by crislapi »

cooleric1234 wrote:In the course of verifying the accuracy of a member's records I gave him his IOS to look over. The only change he had was for his parents, the birth year was wrong. At least one of the parents is deceased (maybe both, I have to find out) and they didn't live in our ward. How do I go about trying to change their records? Does he need to provide some sort of official document (birth or death certificate)? If so, who does he show it to? Thanks.
You are not able to change the parents records, but you can still edit the info that appears in his IOS. Go to his record, go to the parents section and update the info. Because you are not linking to their records (not in your ward), you can make the information that displays on HIS IOS correct.
jbh001

Post by jbh001 »

crislapi wrote:You are not able to change the parents records, but you can still edit the info that appears in his IOS. Go to his record, go to the parents section and update the info. Because you are not linking to their records (not in your ward), you can make the information that displays on HIS IOS correct.
But doesn't that run the risk of breaking the link?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

crislapi wrote:You are not able to change the parents records, but you can still edit the info that appears in his IOS. Go to his record, go to the parents section and update the info. Because you are not linking to their records (not in your ward), you can make the information that displays on HIS IOS correct.
:confused: As long as the parent's are members, I'd expect that information to come from their records and not editable from the child's information.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
cooleric1234-p40

Post by cooleric1234-p40 »

RussellHltn wrote::confused: As long as the parent's are members, I'd expect that information to come from their records and not editable from the child's information.
I had originally forgotten this but I remembered that he's a convert and his parents are not members and did not have record numbers. As I said, his mother passed away earlier this year. So I can update the birth year as a previous poster mentioned.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

cooleric1234 wrote:I had originally forgotten this but I remembered that he's a convert and his parents are not members and did not have record numbers.
OK, that's completly different.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
crislapi

Post by crislapi »

RussellHltn wrote::confused: As long as the parent's are members, I'd expect that information to come from their records and not editable from the child's information.
You would think, and that may have changed in 3.1, but the last time I went into this section, everything was editable in the child's record. Perhaps when a child is still part of a household it's locked, but once they become their own household, it would make sense to make it editable. Otherwise, it would be assuming no mistakes would ever be made.
jbh001 wrote:But doesn't that run the risk of breaking the link?
Although it sounds like the problem has been resolved, let me still follow up on this. If the parents are members, then the link is not broken so long as you don't change the membership numbers. If there are no membership numbers, then the link is more likely to be made if the information is as accurate as possible.
mkmurray

Post by mkmurray »

crislapi wrote:You would think, and that may have changed in 3.1, but the last time I went into this section, everything was editable in the child's record. Perhaps when a child is still part of a household it's locked, but once they become their own household, it would make sense to make it editable. Otherwise, it would be assuming no mistakes would ever be made.

Although it sounds like the problem has been resolved, let me still follow up on this. If the parents are members, then the link is not broken so long as you don't change the membership numbers. If there are no membership numbers, then the link is more likely to be made if the information is as accurate as possible.
I don't know if this is similar, but I recently filled the information for who confirmed me on my record. Apparently, it didn't even transmit to CHQ and it seems likely that information will disappear when we move wards or some other data refresh happens.

Return to “Membership Help”