Blessing Adults

Discuss questions around local unit policies for membership (creating records, transferring records, etc.) This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
greggo

Post by greggo »

mkmurray wrote:So with that said (and the fact that out-of-unit records are for members of the Church and now require MRN entry), you're right that a nonmember record is the only one left to fit the bill. I agree the birthdate thing seems burdensome, but the wiki article I linked to before (and it's reference to the MLS Help File) say this about working around this issue:
Thanks for the info. It's been some time since I was released from Asst. Clerk, and I was not aware that the newer version of MLS now require MRN's for out-of-unit records.

It may work to manually add nonmembers for classes such as primary and SS, but (unless this has also changed with a later version) a nonmember record cannot be added to rolls such as YM and YW.

We have a number of active YM/YW in our ward who were not blessed and not baptized only because their nonmember fathers will not allow it. I guess without using the out-of-unit record workaround, there is now no way to included them in their respective MLS youth group lists - even manually.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

Greggo wrote:It may work to manually add nonmembers for classes such as primary and SS, but (unless this has also changed with a later version) a nonmember record cannot be added to rolls such as YM and YW.
That's close, but not exactly accurate. See the wiki article Classes, where you learn that "... nonmembers can be manually added to Sunday School classes, and to the HP/EQ/RS/SA organizations, but no others (not YSA, YM, YW, or Primary)."
Greggo wrote:We have a number of active YM/YW in our ward who were not blessed and not baptized only because their nonmember fathers will not allow it. I guess without using the out-of-unit record workaround, there is now no way to included them in their respective MLS youth group lists - even manually.
That's true. It's too late now, but they could have been added as a Child of Record prior to turning 8, even if they weren't blessed. Of course, that also requires that you have written permission from the nonmember father, but perhaps he might have granted that permission, even if he would not allow a blessing or baptism.
greggo

Post by greggo »

Alan_Brown wrote: they could have been added as a Child of Record prior to turning 8, even if they weren't blessed. Of course, that also requires that you have written permission from the nonmember father, but perhaps he might have granted that permission, even if he would not allow a blessing or baptism.
Thanks for the clarification Alan - yes, I knew that. In one case, the mother herself did not join the church until after her daughter was older. In another case, there were additions without a blessing for the other children in the family (erroneously done without father's written permission), but it was not discovered that the remaining child did not have a record until after he turned 8.

I think it's a shame that there is no way to include a birth date in nonmember records. I understand that there could be privacy and sometimes legal reasons for not including these in church records, but if permission is given from parents and individuals, I see no problem with it.

Return to “Membership Help”