Baptism/Confirmation Received Before Proper Age

Discuss questions around local unit policies for membership (creating records, transferring records, etc.) This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
jeffadams

Baptism/Confirmation Received Before Proper Age

Post by jeffadams »

My Bishop gave me a certificate of baptism and confirmation of a member of our ward that took place over 15 years ago. The certificate shows that the member was baptized and confirmed three days before his eighth birthday. The member brought this to our attention. I know that the training lesson on lds.org about "Correcting Membership Records" states that it must be ratified by the First Presidency..

"If an ordinance was received out of sequence or before the proper age, the stake may request ratification from the First Presidency.
To have an ordinance ratified, the stake president (or the bishop under his direction) sends a letter to the Office of the First Presidency.
If the First Presidency ratifies the ordinance, it is considered valid."

Is there a possiblity that this may have already been done since this happened 15 years ago? If so, is there a way to see that ratification on the membership record? Wouldn't this be an error/warning on the Membership Validation Report in MLS?
I am not sure what to do in this situation. Please provide direction. Thanks.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

jpa wrote:My Bishop gave me a certificate of baptism and confirmation of a member of our ward that took place over 15 years ago. The certificate shows that the member was baptized and confirmed three days before his eighth birthday.
Do you need to make a change to the membership record, or are you just wondering how to tell if the ratification has taken place?
jeffadams

Post by jeffadams »

I guess first how can I tell if it has been ratified? If it has, then everything should be okay.
calebpusey

Post by calebpusey »

jpa wrote:I guess first how can I tell if it has been ratified? If it has, then everything should be okay.
In this case, please have the bishop contact Local Unit Support.
Caleb

Return to “Membership Help”