Biological father incorrect

Discuss questions around local unit policies for membership (creating records, transferring records, etc.) This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
skibumm101-p40

Biological father incorrect

Post by skibumm101-p40 »

I have a woman in my ward who's Biological father is incorrect. Her step father who adopted her is listed as biological. What is the proper procedure for changing her record along with her Step fathers and biological fathers information. I don't have access to either of the fathers information, they are in other wards.

Thanks
Ryon Brewer
calebpusey

Post by calebpusey »

As per the Church Handbook of Instructions, legal relationships are to be reflected on the member's record. This information can be updated in MLS on the Individual Record under the Parents tab.
Caleb
mkmurray

Post by mkmurray »

CzechRM wrote:As per the Church Handbook of Instructions, legal relationships are to be reflected on the member's record. This information can be updated in MLS on the Individual Record under the Parents tab.
So to address the original poster's specific question, the step father listed on the woman's membership record as her "Father" is indeed the correct procedure?
birdld-p40

Post by birdld-p40 »

skibumm101 wrote:I have a woman in my ward who's Biological father is incorrect. Her step father who adopted her is listed as biological. What is the proper procedure for changing her record along with her Step fathers and biological fathers information. I don't have access to either of the fathers information, they are in other wards.
No change is necessary. There is no distinction on ward membership records between "biological" and "adoptive" parents. It's just "father." The legal father should be listed.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

Everyone seems to be answering this question as if it were a membership record question. But since the concept of "biological father" is not even in MLS, I wonder if the question is actually a FamilySearch question.

So back to skibumm101, I would ask: where are you seeing this step-father listed as a biological father? We can give you better help if we know what record you are talking about.
scion-p40

Post by scion-p40 »

I noticed mine on nFS. That program gives me *no power* to correct this error (stepfather identified as father), but refers me to my ward clerk. He has been unable to resolve this to date. This seems to be a database problem since nFS includes relationship options that don't seem to be available in MLS.

Return to “Membership Help”