Divorced, remaried couple, child recently blessed

Discuss questions around local unit policies for membership (creating records, transferring records, etc.) This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
hjschulz-p40

Divorced, remaried couple, child recently blessed

Post by hjschulz-p40 »

I have a couple in my ward, endowed, married, but both are sealed to their previous spouses. This couple has had several children together. Are those children to be listed as "Born in the Covenant" in MLS? My understanding was that the couple had to be sealed together, prior to having the children. I haven't been able to get a definate answer. Any ideas on where to look?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Check the Church Handbook of Instructions, Book 1, but I think you'll find the children are automatically sealed to the mother and her prior spouse.

Checking the MLS help file, I find:

"Children of biological parents. Born in the covenant (BIC) should be recorded for a member when the "sealing to spouse" date of the member's biological mother is equal to or before the member's birth date."
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

Check the Church Handbook of Instructions, Book 1, p 86. Russell is correct about the children being sealed to the former husband. The wording in the CHI helps clarify the situation. It also describes the situations where the children would not be sealed to the former husband.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
charly3358-p40

Post by charly3358-p40 »

Yes, I agree with the 2 entries above and CHI explains all this well. The children are BIC, but in the covenant of their mother with her first husband until such time as she gets it canceled.

Note that once it is canceled any children born to her after that then wont be BIC unless a new sealing has taken place before their birth. And also note that if she does go ahead with the annulment, the children already born today are still BIC of that first marriage and never have to nor can they change it.
Charlie :confused:

Return to “Membership Help”