Under Age Phone Number

Discuss questions around local unit policies for membership (creating records, transferring records, etc.) This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
zaneclark

Under Age Phone Number

Post by zaneclark »

. We have a young girl living with her nonmember father , and her mother who lives out of town, has given us her phone number... Can we add it to her record? I have been told by our executive sec that it is the policy to not use a minors phone number without the parents permission. We have one parents permission but not the one she is living with....
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Under Age Phone Number

Post by russellhltn »

zaneclark wrote:I have been told by our executive sec that it is the policy to not use a minors phone number without the parents permission.
While I can see some wisdom in that advice, ask him to point you to that policy. I skimmed the Handbook and didn't see anything.

If she's a member, then at some point the parents had to have given permission for her to be baptized or at least her record to be created. I'd think that would include having and being able to use her phone number for church purposes. However, in her current situation, you'd need her father's permission to create the record. So, what might have been OK then, might not be OK now. (See Handbook 1: 13.6.2).

Having it available to the general membership is a different issue, so it might be wise to mark it "leadership only" until you get permission from the father so as to avoid any problems.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
eblood66

Re: Under Age Phone Number

Post by eblood66 »

If you try to enter a phone number or email address for a youth in LCR or MLS it will ask whether you've received permission before you can actually save the data.

The message in LCR is:
Parental or guardian permission is needed before individual telephone or email information can be recorded for those under 18 years of age.

Return to “Membership Help”