Duplicate member record in directory

Discuss questions around local unit policies for membership (creating records, transferring records, etc.) This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
GeorgeWilliam

Duplicate member record in directory

Post by GeorgeWilliam »

The wife of the member brought it to my attention when I was verifying the contact information of members in the ward. She showed me that on directory her husband was showing twice, once with his wife, but no information on him can be accessed here for him. A second time as single and I can see his information here.
When I go to clerk resources I only see him once.
His wife is upset he is listed a second time as single.
What is happening and how can I fix it? Let me know if you need more details.
George Sweeney
Conyers Membership Clerk
eblood66

Re: Duplicate member record in directory

Post by eblood66 »

It sounds like their marriage isn't linked correctly. If you view the marriage on her record (find her Member Profile, click on the Family tab) it probably shows him as a non-member there. And the marriage may not be recorded on his at all.

If the marriage isn't listed on his record then you can try recording it there. If it allows you to do it then the records should be linked (on her record he shouldn't show as a non-member anymore). But his record shows the marriage or if it refused to record the marriage because she already has a marriage recorded then you're going to have to contact the global service center and have them adjust the marriage so that their membership records are correctly linked.

Once that's done then make sure they are also in the same household and then they should show up correctly in the Directory.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Duplicate member record in directory

Post by russellhltn »

My guess is that he was a non-member husband who got baptized. When that happens, things frequently don't link properly. You end up with two entries: The old "non-member" husband (who appears based on the marriage record) and the newly minted member who can't be linked to the spouse because it shows she's already married.

If I'm right, you'll probably have to contact support. Do NOT enter a divorce just to remarry them. That will leave a false divorce in their history.

A contributing factor is that the wife is probably in a separate household - so the husband appears in two "families" instead of twice in the same family. That part you can fix.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “Membership Help”