"Baby" blessing for older child, record help

Discuss questions around local unit policies for membership (creating records, transferring records, etc.) This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
thebundok

"Baby" blessing for older child, record help

Post by thebundok »

Hello friends,

We have a couple who were baptized in 2016. About a year later they blessed their then 2 year old, now 3 year old daughter, whose birthday was 2015. I just noticed that while she's listed as a child under the family tabs of her parents, there is no record associated with her. If I print a member list, the household shows her parents but not her.

If I edit her information it asks "is the child a member" and if I select "Yes" it asks me for a MRN (which she obviously doesn't have because she wasn't BIC and isn't yet baptized, makes sense). If I select "I Need to Create a Record" it asks me to follow normal record creation procedure. If I follow normal procedure it tells me that I'm creating a duplicate record and to "only proceed if record is being created for a different person".

So, just looking for some technical guidance on how to proceed. Do I create the duplicate record and then delete the previous child information? Or am I doing something completely wrong?

Just trying to get her to show up in the household. :p

Thanks in advance,

Chris Hill
Ward Clerk - Stavanger, Norway
eblood66

Re: "Baby" blessing for older child, record help

Post by eblood66 »

The first thing is to make absolute sure that a membership record hasn't already been created. There are two possibilities here. If a record has been created and the record is in your ward then the name on the Family tab will be a link that takes you to their Member Profile. It sounds like that is not the case. The second is that a record was created and mistakenly put in another ward. To make sure that isn't the case try to request their record using Move Records In.

If you don't find a record either way then I'd go ahead and create the record using the normal procedure and just continue past the duplicate record warning. Once the new record has been created, go back to the Family tab of both parents and there should be two entries for each child. Click the pencil icon next to the non-member versions (the ones where the name isn't a link) and say the child is a member. Say they are a member of your ward and then search for their name in the search box. Save the changes and the non-member version of the child should disappear.
thebundok

Re: "Baby" blessing for older child, record help

Post by thebundok »

Thank you very much! Definitely no duplicate record in another ward so I think your second suggestion is how I'll go about it.

Appreciate your quick advice! :)

Return to “Membership Help”