Discuss questions around local unit policies for membership (creating records, transferring records, etc.) This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
drepouille

Post by drepouille »

Sometimes technology gets in the way, and we use it as an excuse. Due to changes in our mission office, a recent convert baptism has not yet been recorded. The elders quorum president wants to assign ministers, and the bishop wants to ordain the new convert. The lack of a membership record is causing these actions to be delayed. I think it is unfortunate that in this case, technology has slowed our progress, rather than to enhance it.

No doubt, ministers can be assigned to new converts, just as they can be to progressing investigators, without a membership record. But can the bishop interview and ordain the new convert without a membership record?
Dana Repouille, Plattsmouth, Nebraska
lajackson
Community Moderators

Re: New Member

Post by lajackson »

drepouille wrote:But can the bishop interview and ordain the new convert without a membership record?
While normally there should be a membership record, Handbook 1, 16.7.2 is very clear that recently baptized brethren should be ordained soon (usually within a week) after baptism. In the case you describe, there would not yet be a membership record. If the bishop is not comfortable with this, he might counsel with his stake president.

In today's electronic environment, this should not be an issue. But as you said, sometimes the forms don't get to the mission office in a timely manner, or the office is delayed in entering the information for some reason. With knowledge of the baptism, if I were the bishop I think I would move forward in this situation. And perhaps put in a call to the mission office for good measure.
drepouille

Post by drepouille »

I seem to remember that decades ago, when we mailed everything, the baptismal recommend served as a temporary membership record until an actual printed record was received from HQ.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

drepouille wrote:I seem to remember that decades ago, when we mailed everything, the baptismal recommend served as a temporary membership record until an actual printed record was received from HQ.
Actually, I believe the ward should have a copy of it still today, but it usually would be made by the material center copier, because there are no longer pinks and yellows and greens and all of the other colors of the rainbow that bring so many memories back to me.

I think it will only happen if the ward (mission leader) is actively involved with the missionaries and makes sure a copy is made.
drepouille

Post by drepouille »

I always insist that the missionaries give me the ward copy of the baptismal recommend immediately after the new member is confirmed. I review it and tell them of any mistakes or omissions I find. I will have to review it to see if there are spaces for ordination events after baptism.
jonesrk
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by jonesrk »

You could also contact the mission office and ask them to record the baptism so that you can proceed with retaining the new convert.

Return to “Membership Help”