Membership Audit

Discuss questions around local unit policies for membership (creating records, transferring records, etc.) This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
Joshhi

What to do about missing Melchizedek Priesthood ordination information

Post by Joshhi »

I'm a fairly new membership clerk, and at the end of this last year, I printed IOS's for the members in the ward to review as they came to tithing settlement. We let members know that if their membership records (really, the individual ordinance summary sheet) showed anything incorrect, they should let me know and I'd get it corrected for them. A couple members found that the name of the person who ordained them to an office in the Melchizedek Priesthood was missing, but they had the date. They provided the missing info and I updated it, but I thought it was kind of odd to have more than one. So, I looked at all MP holder ordination info and found that we had several more members who were missing the information for the person who performed their last MP ordination (a few were High priests), and all happened in previous wards (our ward is pretty new). This doesn't seem normal to me...
Any idea for what could be the source of this missing data? I haven't done this long enough to know if MLS has issues like this, or if the information just needs to be refreshed from Church Headquarters, or if it's an issue of the information just not having been entered when the ordination was performed...
Anyone heard of this before?
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm assuming this information needs to be gathered and updated in MLS...
What should I do if a member doesn't remember who it was that ordained him to be an Elder or HP, but we have the date it happened?

I appreciate the help!
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

joshhi wrote:Anyone heard of this before?

Please see: Blank ordinance "performed by"
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
Joshhi

Post by Joshhi »

RussellHltn wrote:Please see: Blank ordinance "performed by"
Thanks for the link! That was really helpful!
ssio

Reviewing the audits

Post by ssio »

It seems that after the membership audit is completed that the results are submitted to somewhere, HQ or area office it seems.

Is it possible to be able as Stake Clerk access to see all the collated membership audits results or even see this in the new audit portal?

It would be nice to get a view like the one for Quarterly reports showing all units and have something similar for the Membership audits results.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

ssio wrote:It seems that after the membership audit is completed that the results are submitted to somewhere, HQ or area office it seems.

Yes, the membership audit results are transmitted from MLS. I assume they go to CHQ.
ssio wrote:Is it possible to be able as Stake Clerk access to see all the collated membership audits results or even see this in the new audit portal?

There is no "audit portal" for membership audits. If you're talking about LUFAS, the new financial auditing website, that's not really a possibility for membership audits, since membership audits and financial audits are conducted under the direction of entirely different departments of the Church.

But I agree that it would be a nice ability to see the audit results somewhere on LDS.org (or possibly in stake MLS, but since so much is moving to LDS.org, that seems like the more forward-looking place to put it).
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
bblimes

Re: Membership Audit

Post by bblimes »

There is a ward in my stake that has an exception that notes, "A person should not be sealed to a spouse before being a member of the Church for a year." The member involved was baptized on 5 Aug 1972. He and his wife drove to Salt Lake City from Ohio to be sealed at the Salt Lake Temple about a year later. They arrived in Salt Lake a few days before the one year anniversary. As they were on a somewhat tight schedule they petitioned the temple to be allowed to proceed with their sealing and permission was granted. They were sealed on 3 Aug 1973, two days prior to the one year anniversary of their baptism. Now this shows up as an exception, what should be done to rectify this problem so it does not show up every year as an exception.
scgallafent
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by scgallafent »

bblimes wrote:There is a ward in my stake that has an exception that notes, "A person should not be sealed to a spouse before being a member of the Church for a year." The member involved was baptized on 5 Aug 1972. He and his wife drove to Salt Lake City from Ohio to be sealed at the Salt Lake Temple about a year later. They arrived in Salt Lake a few days before the one year anniversary. As they were on a somewhat tight schedule they petitioned the temple to be allowed to proceed with their sealing and permission was granted. They were sealed on 3 Aug 1973, two days prior to the one year anniversary of their baptism. Now this shows up as an exception, what should be done to rectify this problem so it does not show up every year as an exception.
See Handbook 1, 16.1.10. Pay attention to the section on ordinances performed before the appropriate age. This is a similar situation.
cheb23

Post by cheb23 »

We have many exceptions to our Membership Audit but nowhere can I find where I can send an explanation to these exceptions. Please help!
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

cheb23 wrote:We have many exceptions to our Membership Audit but nowhere can I find where I can send an explanation to these exceptions. Please help!
What kind of exceptions? Don't post personal details, but you can describe the problem. If it was a case of a ordnance performed too soon, then Handbook 1, 16.1.10 would be your starting point.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

cheb23 wrote:We have many exceptions to our Membership Audit but nowhere can I find where I can send an explanation to these exceptions. Please help!
The exceptions won't be reviewed one-by-one by anyone at headquarters – they are mainly for your own benefit, to highlight record-keeping areas of focus. Your stake might also be interested in seeing the exceptions so they can follow up and provide training. So, you don't need to send a specific explanation for each case (except to your bishopric or stake leaders, if they request that). Instead, work with the bishopric and ward council to resolve all of the ones you can, and ignore those that you are unable to fix for legitimate reasons.
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.

Return to “Membership Help”