Same address, attending different Ward

Discuss questions around local unit policies for membership (creating records, transferring records, etc.) This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
forresthickman

Same address, attending different Ward

Post by forresthickman »

i have a Brother in our Ward who is now attending the Spanish Ward in our Stake instead of our Ward (with my Bishop's approval)... how to i move him into a different Ward with the same address?

thank you.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Same address, attending different Ward

Post by russellhltn »

I think you have to do it the same way you'd enter one for a different address. Is the Spanish Ward an option when you enter that address?
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
azryan

Post by azryan »

I have a divorced couple who both live in our ward. The ex-husband has been in the ward for some time, but the ex-wife recently moved into a home within our ward boundaries.
Both are active members, but the wife has received permission from our stake president to attend a different ward within our stake boundaries.

How is this to be done? Would it be easier for the the receiving ward's clerk to request the records, or is it just as simple to move the ex-wife out to the new ward? In other words, which is simpler, PUSH OUT the records to the new ward, or have the other ward clerk PULL IN the records?
rmrichesjr
Community Moderators

Post by rmrichesjr »

azryan wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 7:40 pm ...

How is this to be done? Would it be easier for the the receiving ward's clerk to request the records, or is it just as simple to move the ex-wife out to the new ward? In other words, which is simpler, PUSH OUT the records to the new ward, or have the other ward clerk PULL IN the records?
Either way should be reasonably easy. I don't know of a significant difference in difficult for push vs. pull, even in this situation. The clerk doing the move just needs to make very sure to move only the proper individual(s) and not the whole household.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

If you do a push, make sure to fill in the address even if it's the same. Otherwise, it's likely to arrive with no address.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

As mentioned above, there shouldn't be a difference in technical difficulty between pushing or pulling, as long as the address is known. Since you are already involved and aware of the situation, I would recommend that you push the record, then send an email to the other ward's clerk to let them know why a record with an address in your ward was pushed to his ward.
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
kd7mha

Post by kd7mha »

if you push the record to the new ward you can specify that the address is not changing
if you pull the record you will need to enter the address
There are 11 types of people. Those who understand Gray Code and those that don't.
BrianEdwards

Post by BrianEdwards »

One main difference between push and pull, is that way too often a member's records are pushed into a new ward, without any communication. This assumes that the new ward knows what's going on, which isn't always the case even though the old ward assumes it is. And members can slip through the cracks this way.

In your situation it seems like there's good communication with the new ward, but I'd still strongly suggest that if you push the records, that the new ward be alerted. I always wished the "push records" mechanism would allow for the Bishop/Clerk of the old ward to provide some info along with the push. The new ward can always reach out to the old ward for details if needed, just another step that can get missed.

Return to “Membership Help”