bringing one record to one unit while family is in other

Discuss questions around local unit policies for membership (creating records, transferring records, etc.) This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

colbyj wrote:Okay, in our Stake Presidency meeting tonight we discussed this, and we were not sure about how the stewardship works out in this situation. If the brother's record remains in the ward where he lives, but his "out of unit" record puts him kind of in limbo. Questions, since his record still resides in his "home" ward:
- where would he pay tithing?
- who would interview him for temple recommend (his "home" Bishop, or the President of the Branch in which his serving in the presidency?)
- for priesthood advancement, he'd need an interview from his Bishop, then stake Presidency... but we're wondering who does the initial interview for him? the branch president or his "home" bishop?
The answer to all those questions is the same: all those things should occur in the ward where his actual membership record is located.

Although you can pay tithing to any unit of the Church, you can only attend tithing settlement in the ward where your actual record is located on December 31, so it makes sense to pay tithing to that ward (the home ward).

His family will continue to have home teachers in the home ward, which is a good thing -- local home teachers will be in a better position to care for the entire household.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

I think the answers would be:
colbyj wrote:- where would he pay tithing?

I believe he can pay his tithing where ever he feels like it. It makes things easier if he pays to his home ward, but I know of no requirement to do so.
colbyj wrote:- who would interview him for temple recommend (his "home" Bishop, or the President of the Branch in which his serving in the presidency?)

- for priesthood advancement, he'd need an interview from his Bishop, then stake Presidency... but we're wondering who does the initial interview for him? the branch president or his "home" bishop?

I think it would be the same answer for both: The ward his membership record is in. His bishop may elect to confer with the branch president of the branch he's working in, much like a bishop may confer with a prior bishop when a member hasn't been in the ward for very long.

I'm sure Alan will correct me if I'm too far off. :)
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
colbyj-p40

Post by colbyj-p40 »

thanks again for the quick assist guys!

Return to “Membership Help”