Stillborn Births -- Special Request Feature

Discuss questions around local unit policies for membership (creating records, transferring records, etc.) This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
sanfordluke

Stillborn Births -- Special Request Feature

Post by sanfordluke »

A family in the ward gave birth to their full-term child, who happened to stop breathing while being birthed. I assume this still is considered a stillborn birth, but I figured I would ask.
If so, is there still a way to use the special request feature for Stillborn Births in MLS? It would seem that the website has been updated since instructions were given in this section: https://tech.lds.org/wiki/Stillborn.

Any help would be appreciated!
rmrichesjr
Community Moderators

Re: Stillborn Births -- Special Request Feature

Post by rmrichesjr »

Because this is a user-to-user forum, there's no guarantee anyone who has an authoritative answer will see this thread. The official clerk support channels would be a more reliable method to get a timely and correct answer.
eblood66

Post by eblood66 »

As rmrichesjr says, you'll probably have to call Local Unit Support for a firm answer. There doesn't seem to be anything in the Help Center addressing stillborn children.

I'm not sure that linked records are even used anymore. I think they were primarily used for non-members who were related to members. But I think they were removed in connection with updated privacy policies and changes.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

sanfordluke wrote:A family in the ward gave birth to their full-term child, who happened to stop breathing while being birthed. I assume this still is considered a stillborn birth, but I figured I would ask.
The attending physician would normally determine if the child was born live, followed shortly by death, or stillborn. I would take my cue from that medical determination, then either create a membership record for a live birth, or use the guidance in Handbook 1:3.7.4 and 17.2.10 if the child was stillborn.

Handbook 2:21.3.10 also provides information that is very helpful to use in conjunction with the Handbook 1 references.

It would be wise, I think, for the bishop to be the one who communicates with the family in this situation.

Return to “Membership Help”