Recording baptism

Discuss questions around local unit policies for membership (creating records, transferring records, etc.) This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
zaneclark

Recording baptism

Post by zaneclark »

I think I already know the answer but I’m going to ask anyway....I need to record the baptism of someone who was baptized several years ago. So far I have the name, birthdate and the month but I am assuming that I will need more informational than that, specifically the exact date and probably who baptized her.Am I correct and is there any other information I will need to record this ?
davesudweeks

Re: Recording baptism

Post by davesudweeks »

Handbook 1: 16.1.10 provides information that may prove useful in this situation.
eblood66

Post by eblood66 »

The first thing you need to review is Handbook 1 Section 16.1.10. If you have sufficient evidence of the baptism as described in that section then you should be able to record the baptism as long as you have at least the year of the baptism. However, if you can get the exact date and who performed the baptism and confirmation, that would be preferable. Assuming they aren't already a child of record then other vital information like address, contact information, marriage information and children would also help make the record more accurate.
js1098y

Post by js1098y »

This like most will be a long story, cut short as possible. So here it goes. We recently had a family move into our ward from Micronesia. His mother said this young man had already been baptized and confirmed. We have referred to the handbook and found that if we had the date, which we do have. We know who baptized and who confirmed and we have the testimony of two witnesses to confirm the baptism. Let me back up a moment. His baptism was not recorded, therefore we took the previously mentioned steps. Now we have all this information but the problem we are running into is this; the person who performed the baptism was a missionary we only have his last name and have tried extensively to find out more about him. We have even reached out to the current mission President to try to get a first name to this Elder, but have been unsuccessful in all of our inquiries. My Bishop would like to exhaust all possibilities before re-baptizing. I have noticed that some baptisms are recorded with the person who did the baptism marked as unknown. Does anyone have any suggestions or knowledge on where I can find the answers?
eblood66

Post by eblood66 »

According to the handbook (section 38.2.1.10) you don't need the person who did the ordination if you have the complete date. When recording it you could just use 'Elder' as the first name or just leave it blank if the system let's you.

I don't know of any resource that would help you find the elder's first name.
scgallafent
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by scgallafent »

You will need to call the GSD to work through this.

Return to “Membership Help”