Membership audit exception - delay ordaining an Elder

Discuss questions around local unit policies for membership (creating records, transferring records, etc.) This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
jtyewhit

Membership audit exception - delay ordaining an Elder

Post by jtyewhit »

I'm looking for help on how to resolve an audit exception.
We have a member who was approved to be ordained an Elder, but then the ordination has been delayed. The audit exception is that we have someone who has been approved to be ordained but it hasn't happened (and the timeline is uncertain when that will happen).

Is there a way to resolve this as far as the audit goes? I'm not sure when the person will actually be ordained.
davesudweeks

Re: Membership audit exception - delay ordaining an Elder

Post by davesudweeks »

I believe the audit question is along the lines of "are any of the prospective elders ordained and the ordination has not been recorded?" It is designed to catch cases where recording the ordination was missed.

If this brother was approved to be ordained, but not yet ordained, the audit question was answered incorrectly for him. There is another thread in the forum that indicates you need to rerun the audit to clear the exception if the audit question was answered incorrectly, but I have no experience with that.
scgallafent
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by scgallafent »

jtyewhit wrote:We have a member who was approved to be ordained an Elder, but then the ordination has been delayed. The audit exception is that we have someone who has been approved to be ordained but it hasn't happened (and the timeline is uncertain when that will happen).

Is there a way to resolve this as far as the audit goes? I'm not sure when the person will actually be ordained.
I don't see the outstanding audit exception on your audit, so I'm not sure what you're trying to resolve. The member is still listed as a pending Melchizedek Priesthood ordination. It doesn't appear that the box indicating he was ordained but not recorded was checked (which would have been incorrect since he was not ordained), so everything looks correct to me.
jtyewhit

Post by jtyewhit »

Thank you for the responses.

I have received more details from the ward clerk. He says that the reason for the exception is that a man turned the next age up and he wasn't ordained yet. Then, in the audit, they marked him as an exception to be corrected. Now that the audit period is over, the exception remains and can only be cleared by entering an ordination date. He was not ordained so he can't do that.

Is there a way to clear the exception - or is there even a need to do so? On my view of the membership audit report, that ward (S1) shows that the audit was submitted with an unresolved exception.
davesudweeks

Post by davesudweeks »

If your stake president is OK with the audit exception sitting unresolved for some months, then don't worry about. If not, I think the ward has to run the membership audit again but NOT mark him as an exception this time.

Audit exceptions are simply flags that there are known errors in the record. Some cannot be cleared quickly (for example, if you know a less active single is married to a nonmember but they won't provide the necessary information to record the marriage you cannot clear the exception - it may take time to search public records to find the marriage information).
klricks

Post by klricks »

davesudweeks wrote:....
Audit exceptions are simply flags that there are known errors in the record. Some cannot be cleared quickly (for example, if you know a less active single is married to a nonmember but they won't provide the necessary information to record the marriage you cannot clear the exception - it may take time to search public records to find the marriage information).
If the member / nonmember doesn't want the information on church records then I would not add it, even if the information was later obtained by other means.
Assistant Ward Clerk
jtyewhit

Post by jtyewhit »

Thank you for your suggestions. What we did in the end was rerun the audit to clear the exception by answering that particular question correctly on the rerun.

Return to “Membership Help”