Removing inappropriately created membership record

Discuss questions around local unit policies for membership (creating records, transferring records, etc.) This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
adamluker

Removing inappropriately created membership record

Post by adamluker »

A sister recently asked me to create a membership record for her newborn daughter. Per policy, I sought permission from her non-member husband. He declined, so I didn't create the record.

However, their two older children (under 8 years old) are children of record, despite not having been blessed and without his consent.

So the question is: what do I do with those two older-children records? Do I offer to remove them proactively, since they should not have been created in the first place? Would the parents need to submit a letter requesting removal?
davesudweeks

Re: Removing inappropriately created membership record

Post by davesudweeks »

Do you know for a fact their records were created without his consent? I would discuss this with the bishop first and follow his direction.
adamluker

Post by adamluker »

Yes, he assures me he did not consent to the creation of the records.

I will certainly follow the bishop's direction, but it would be nice to know if there's an official approach we should be taking... :)
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

adamluker wrote:but it would be nice to know if there's an official approach we should be taking... :)
I don't see anything in the Handbook. So, I'd follow the direction found in the Introduction under "Questions about Instructions" and consult with your presiding authority. In your case, it would be the bishop or stake clerk. If they don't have an answer, they can consult their presiding authority. Or, you can call support and see what they say.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “Membership Help”