records moved in but the people did not

Discuss questions around local unit policies for membership (creating records, transferring records, etc.) This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
gwilliem

records moved in but the people did not

Post by gwilliem »

Recently I had a situation where a lady's records were moved into the ward. The lady that lives at address has that same name and is an active member of the church. The record numbers are different and date of birth is different prior unit information is different. I believe what happened is some one Google searched this gals name and the results showed a lady of the same name living at the address in my ward and sent the records over.

Is there anyway to send the records back to the previous ward with a note and say "sorry you have the wrong lady here" ?

Is it just my job to find the right address for this mystery woman?

Thanks in advance.
eblood66

Re: records moved in but the people did not

Post by eblood66 »

There isn't any automated way of sending the record back with a note. It's difficult to even send it back without a note because you don't have an address to send it too.

But you can lookup the clerk or bishop of the prior ward in CDOL and just contact them directly and let them know that the address they used was not correct and ask them to request the record back. They should have better contacts and information to try to find the correct location. If for some reason they are not willing to request the record back then you'll need to go through the checklist for sending a record to 'address unknown' but most likely there won't actually be anything you can do for most steps because they involve 'last known' things and you don't know anything about her.

Personally, I would not use a 'people search' kind of service to try to find the correct address (and the check list for 'address unknown' doesn't ask us to). I would leave that up to the church service missionaries who try to find members because they have access to a larger set of relatives and past address in order to help verify whether a particular match is correct on one of those services. They also have a greater ability to
gwilliem

Post by gwilliem »

Thank you for the reply.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

In this situation, I'd either call support or use "special request" to ask HQ to take back the record. Explain that it's being confused with another person. They can look to see how the record was transferred and send it back back - hopefully with a note.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
gwilliem

Post by gwilliem »

^^^^ thanks
bballrob

Post by bballrob »

I would just mark all the boxes and ship it to address unknown.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

bballrob wrote:I would just mark all the boxes and ship it to address unknown.
What isn't generally known is Church HQ does do some work on members sent to "Address Unknown". For example, they may send a request to a known family member living in another ward.

What I'd be concerned about is that without a "note" explaining the problem is that a service missionary would discover that someone of the same name lived at that address and the cycle would repeat.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
bballrob

Post by bballrob »

russellhltn wrote:
bballrob wrote:I would just mark all the boxes and ship it to address unknown.
What I'd be concerned about is that without a "note" explaining the problem is that a service missionary would discover that someone of the same name lived at that address and the cycle would repeat.
Maybe they should add a place where notes can be added to prevent this cycle from repeating itself.

Return to “Membership Help”