Adult children living at home showing on Unassigned HT list

Discuss questions around local unit policies for membership (creating records, transferring records, etc.) This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
sethbroox

Adult children living at home showing on Unassigned HT list

Post by sethbroox »

We have many households in our Stake where adult children are living with their parents. Along with the other siblings, they are listed with their father being head of household. While the family is assigned home teachers, the adult children are showing up on the Unassigned Home Teachers report. If you look at the individual, they are assigned home teachers though.

Is this a glitch, or the desired behavior?

We found that if you make the 19 year old the head of their own household, at the same address as their parent,s AND assign them the same home teachers as their parents, they no longer show up on the Unassigned report. This seems like a hack. Is the recommendation to make all young adults their own head of household? If that was the direction, why would it not automatically do that upon their birthday?

If we make them their own head of household, then we had lots of questions like: "If its a 19 year old female, then do we need to assign her home teachers from the High Priest quorum as she is a single sister, even though the Elder's Quorum is already assigned to home teach the family at that address?". And "By splitting them out into their own head of household, that increases the number of families the quorum has to assign, and thus increases the number of 'families' assigned to a companionship. While not really increasing the number of homes to visit, having 12+ families on a route has a negative psychological impact." And so on and so forth.

What counsel should I be providing the Clerks, EQ and HPG leaders?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Adult children living at home showing on Unassigned HT list

Post by russellhltn »

sethbroox wrote:they are listed with their father being head of household.
I would double-check that you are looking at the household record and not somewhere else (it can get confusing). Unless new guidance has been handed down, I would not expect children in the household to show up as "unassigned". HT should be by household.

Now, wither adult children should be their own household is another debate. This seems to be "bishop's discretion". I think the common practice is that once the child has left home, they are their own household, even if they return at a later time.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
eblood66

Post by eblood66 »

What report are you looking at? My son is 27 and lives with us. I can see two lists on LCR which show unassigned home teachers: under Organizations > Home Teaching under 'Households Not Assigned to be Home Taught' and under Reports > Home and Visiting Teaching with the Not Assigned filter selected. Both lists do not show my son.
sethbroox

Post by sethbroox »

I will have to follow up with the two different EQ presidents. They showed me on their iPad and laptop, but at the Stake level, I can't see what the Ward sees (something I need to "suggest", as it makes it very difficult to help assist the clerks when I can't see what they see).

Thanks
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Actually, if you look at the directory at LDS.org, you'll be able to see if the children are in a household or are their own household.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
mwobser

Post by mwobser »

Our ward has multiple adult children living at home with their parents. They are showing in the same household as their parents and do not report as unassigned.

However our EQ President is requesting to split the household to make a separate one for the adult children so he can assign home teachers for the adult children.

My question is this. Is there a policy when this can be done or should not be done? Or is this just up to the discretion of the bishop?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Bishop's discretion.

A number of wards seem to follow the practice that once the child leaves home, they are a separate household even if they return. The only ones that are still in their parent's household are the ones who never left.

bballrob

Post by bballrob »

Whether to split out YSAs living at home is definitely a bishop’s discretion. Our stake YSA leaders approached us a few months ago requesting that we put YSAs in their own households as it made it easier for them to identify them in the directory. Seemed like a reasonable request so we did it.

Return to “Membership Help”