merge records

Discuss questions around local unit policies for membership (creating records, transferring records, etc.) This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
gfhirschi

merge records

Post by gfhirschi »

Where can I go and read what merge records does. I have two situation were I moved the male into our ward and it brought a wife with him,
but he just married a lady already in our ward. both have Kids. I don't have information about first wife yet....
Can merge records be used to get records together?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: merge records

Post by russellhltn »

First, be absolutely certain that this is the same person. It's possible it's a duplicate record, but it's also possible that two people have the simplify enough information that they get confused with each other. I've heard stories before on the Find-A-Grave website about people who found someone with the same name, same birthdate in the same county - but two different people.

Assuming it is the same person, I'd think I'd record the divorce from the first wife before attempting to merge. Otherwise, the results could be "interesting".
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
eblood66

Post by eblood66 »

No. The Merge Duplicate Records option is for when you have two records for the same person.

At this point you have two (or maybe three) problems.

First, you need to make sure his previous marriage is terminated and the new marriage recorded. If this hasn't happened then you need to get information from the member about the divorce and marriage.

Second, you need to send the previous wife's record back to the ward she should be in. If you can get her address from the member then you can just move the record. Otherwise, you may need to contact the previous ward and ask them to request the record back or give you the address to send it to.

Third, you need to move the new wife into the husbands household. You should do this after the new marriage has been correctly recorded. You do this by finding the husbands profile in LCR (using the Member List), click on the Household tab and then click on the Add Household Members link at the bottom right of the screen.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

eblood66 wrote:The Merge Duplicate Records option is for when you have two records for the same person.
That is correct. I assumed you had two records for the same person. If that's not the case, then please disregard my prior post.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “Membership Help”