Procedure to record baptism that occurred in another ward.

Discuss questions around local unit policies for membership (creating records, transferring records, etc.) This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
joshuajohnwallace

Procedure to record baptism that occurred in another ward.

Postby joshuajohnwallace » Tue May 16, 2017 8:05 pm

There is a child of record baptism that occurred for a child in my ward while they were in a different ward (a different state even). This happened five months ago but I only became aware of it now. What is the procedure to record a baptism that occurred in a different ward that nobody in my ward was witness to?

Handbook 1, 16.1.10, seems to indicate I should seek out witness from the baptism to confirm the baptism occurred. Is there any level of approval I need from my bishop as well?

eblood66

Re: Procedure to record baptism that occurred in another ward.

Postby eblood66 » Wed May 17, 2017 4:19 am

I assume the family moved from the other ward to your ward. If they were just visiting then they should have had a signed baptism record from your bishop before the baptism could take place.

Assuming they moved, you've found the correct instructions. If they have a certificate then that is enough. Otherwise you need written statements from two witnesses. In either case, it's your bishop who needs to inspect the documentation and then authorize you, the clerk, to record the baptism.

joshuajohnwallace

Postby joshuajohnwallace » Wed May 17, 2017 5:06 am

eblood66 wrote:I assume the family moved from the other ward to your ward. If they were just visiting then they should have had a signed baptism record from your bishop before the baptism could take place.

I apologize for not specifying this in the original post. They were just visiting the other ward at the time the baptism took place. They were members of our ward during the time the baptism took place at another ward.

eblood66

Postby eblood66 » Wed May 17, 2017 8:39 am

joshuajohnwallace wrote:I apologize for not specifying this in the original post. They were just visiting the other ward at the time the baptism took place. They were members of our ward during the time the baptism took place at another ward.

In that case I wouldn't say the ordinance is invalid. You're just a bit late in completing the process.

Normally in a case like this the bishop should have filled out a Baptism and Confirmation Form (found on LCR under Ordinances > Baptism) and sent that with the family for the baptism. They should have returned with it and given it back to the bishop. If he didn't do that then you should have him fill it out now.

A member of the bishopric in the ward where the baptism took place should have conducted the baptism. Your bishop should contact him and get verification that the baptism took place. He can then instruct you to record the baptism and print the certificate which he can then sign.

Return to “Membership Help”