Unknown Member records appear at strange addresses...

Discuss questions around local unit policies for membership (creating records, transferring records, etc.) This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
cboshdave

Unknown Member records appear at strange addresses...

Post by cboshdave »

We have a strange things happening. We have had 2 member records appear in our ward that have the address of a current family. The people are not at all related to the family though. The record is its own head of household but we have never heard of the person. I am a little concerned because we are not supposed to move records out to UNKNOWN, but I have no idea how to follow up on this and it is clearly an error.

Thanks,
Dave Wilcox
eblood66

Re: Unknown Member records appear at strange addresses...

Post by eblood66 »

cboshdave wrote:I am a little concerned because we are not supposed to move records out to UNKNOWN, but I have no idea how to follow up on this and it is clearly an error.
There is no prohibition on sending records to unknown. You just have to follow the steps listed here: https://www.lds.org/help/support/move-r ... t?lang=eng (in the first section). In a case like this there may not be anything you can do for most of the steps. As long as you have done what you can, you can move the record to unknown.

However, in a case like this I would also contact the previous ward and ask why they moved the record to your ward. They may have made a mistake. If so, it may be best for them to request the record back because they can probably perform more of the steps than you can. If the record came from the unknown address file then one of the service missionaries at CHQ probably found something that made them think the member was at the given address. In that case just do the steps you can from the list and then send the record back to unknown with a note that the person never lived at that location.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Re: Unknown Member records appear at strange addresses...

Post by sbradshaw »

Did you also check with that current family who's living there? They could be renting a room or something similar.
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.

Return to “Membership Help”