What info is needed to create a record

Discuss questions around local unit policies for membership (creating records, transferring records, etc.) This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
wrigjef

What info is needed to create a record

Post by wrigjef »

i just pulled in records for a family but the primary president says they have more children then what is listed in the household. I searched but the system can't find their records. I am going to take further action and make sure to find out if a record exists or not but if it doesn't I'd like to be able to tell he primary president what information is needed to create a record.
eblood66

Re: What info is needed to create a record

Post by eblood66 »

Make sure you have the full name and birth date for each child and search specifically for their records again before creating anything. You should also check to see if the family has an individual ordinance form for the children from their previous ward. If so, use the membership number on the summary to request their records.

If you do need to create a record then just print the Child Record Form and give it to the parents to fill out. It asks for all the required information and provides the parent's approval to create the record (which is required--don't just create the record based on 2nd hand information). You can print the Child Record Form from LCR by first selecting Membership > Create Record from the menu and then clicking the "Blank Create Record Form (seven or younger)" link toward the bottom of the page.

Note that you can only create a record for children seven or younger unless they have been baptized. If older children were baptized and you can't find their records then you need to follow the procedure to validate the ordinance before creating a full membership record (Handbook 1 section 16.1.10).
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Before creating the record, permission may be required. See Handbook 1:13.6.2, item 2 and 4.

It appears a common oversight for children is when the parents are converts. The mission will record the children on the parent's records, but will not create the "child of record" for the children.

And then there's the usual confusion that happens if a child is blessed somewhere other than the parent's home ward (perhaps the grandparent's ward).
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
1968leocomeeatabite

Post by 1968leocomeeatabite »

An update, the reference for part of this, Is in the new handbook at 33.6.2.
Make sure you have the full name and birth date for each child and search specifically for their records again before creating anything. You should also check to see if the family has an individual ordinance form for the children from their previous ward. If so, use the membership number on the summary to request their records.

If you do need to create a record then just print the Child Record Form and give it to the parents to fill out. It asks for all the required information and provides the parent's approval to create the record (which is required--don't just create the record based on 2nd hand information). You can print the Child Record Form from LCR by first selecting Membership > Create Record from the menu and then clicking the "Blank Create Record Form (seven or younger)" link toward the bottom of the page.
I am the WML and it would be wonderful if the clerks would do this for many part member families in our ward. Is the same instruction good for finding the form and creating a record current? (I do not have access to clerk type of stuff.) Thank you so very much for any update of instructions you might leave.
Last edited by 1968leocomeeatabite on Tue Feb 02, 2021 1:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Membership Help”