Adding a calling

Discuss questions around local unit policies for membership (creating records, transferring records, etc.) This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
wrigjef

Adding a calling

Post by wrigjef »

I have a problem adding. a calling to a member. I select the organization, in this case YW, but when I go to select a calling the only option is to create a custom calling. I'm trying to enter a sister in as laurel advisor and my suspicion is that it should be a standard calling and that the system is not working.

I've also tried going through organizations, selecting YW then laurel and add another calling. Again the only option is to create a new custom calling.

What am I doing wrong?

I've tried both on an iPad and on a desktop
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Adding a calling

Post by russellhltn »

Is there someone already in that calling? I'm wondering if it's something you can only have one of.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
Biggles

Post by Biggles »

You're correct it is a standard calling. I'm assuming you are a Clerk, of some description. In LCR select Organisations>Young Women>Young Women Advisers and the three classes are available for selection. If there is a Laurel Advisor in place already and you are trying to add an additional Advisor, use the Add Another Calling option at the bottom of the page.

I have been using an iPad to obtain these instructions.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

Is the sister you're trying to add a member of the Relief Society organization (as opposed to still being a young woman)? Is she an out-of-unit member or something different like that?
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
wrigjef

Post by wrigjef »

The sister is not a young woman or have another calling. I find quite frequently that when I go in to enter callings that I have no option other than to enter them in a custom calling. Usually trying several times alternating between.entering the calling to a person (member list callings tab) and entering the person in a calling (organizations tab) usually it works after toggling a few times. Today it wouldn't. I'll keep trying the different methods.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

Maybe a different browser would work, if there are Javascript quirks on the page? Or, you could see if someone else in your ward is able to record the same calling. Good luck!
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
wrigjef

Post by wrigjef »

Good thought I will try that on the desktop. I have a funny feeling the bishop and his councilors have this problem because the Ward clerk ,I'm just an assistant, has asked them to stop adding stuff because they were putting everyone in custom callings.
jonesrk
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by jonesrk »

wrigjef wrote:I have a problem adding. a calling to a member. I select the organization, in this case YW, but when I go to select a calling the only option is to create a custom calling. I'm trying to enter a sister in as laurel advisor and my suspicion is that it should be a standard calling and that the system is not working.

I've also tried going through organizations, selecting YW then laurel and add another calling. Again the only option is to create a new custom calling.
Biggles wrote:You're correct it is a standard calling. I'm assuming you are a Clerk, of some description. In LCR select Organisations>Young Women>Young Women Advisers and the three classes are available for selection. If there is a Laurel Advisor in place already and you are trying to add an additional Advisor, use the Add Another Calling option at the bottom of the page.
I think this is the key. If you compare the locations (highlighted in bold in the two quotes) you will see that the location you are trying to enter the calling matters. As Biggles said: all the YW Advisers are put in the one Young Women Advisers organization.
wrigjef

Post by wrigjef »

I'm wondering why there is the appearance of functionality using other methods. Why not just post accurate instructions for doing it the way that works?
jonesrk
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by jonesrk »

wrigjef wrote:I'm wondering why there is the appearance of functionality using other methods. Why not just post accurate instructions for doing it the way that works?
You can add custom callings in most places, but if you want the standard callings you have to put them in the organizations where they are allowed. A really extreme example is you wouldn't want to be able to add a deacon's quorum president calling in Relief Society.

Return to “Membership Help”