Split Households

Discuss questions around local unit policies for membership (creating records, transferring records, etc.) This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
Churchill55

Split Households

Post by Churchill55 »

Subject: Split Households. We have a sister in our ward, who was recently married by the bishop. Her husband, also a member, lives about 60 miles away in another stake. For at least into the summer, and possibly beyond, they will be maintaining both homes and residing primarily in their current stakes, timewise. The sister is also raising a a grandson which is why she will be staying in her home at least the end of school year. How do we update/link their records to show they are married while remaining part of their respective stakes for at least the next five months? This applies to LCR and MLS.
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Re: Split Households

Post by Mikerowaved »

[Moderator note: This was split off of the Contacting Membership Support thread, since it presented a new topic.]
So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Marriage and households are two different things. As long as they show married on their records, then they are married.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
Biggles

Post by Biggles »

Churchill55 wrote:Subject: Split Households. We have a sister in our ward, who was recently married by the bishop. Her husband, also a member, lives about 60 miles away in another stake. For at least into the summer, and possibly beyond, they will be maintaining both homes and residing primarily in their current stakes, timewise. The sister is also raising a a grandson which is why she will be staying in her home at least the end of school year. How do we update/link their records to show they are married while remaining part of their respective stakes for at least the next five months? This applies to LCR and MLS.
I had a similar scenario last week, with a newly married young couple. Go to the sisters record (In LCR) and under the Family tab click Add Marriage. When this is open it will present you with various options regarding the husband. Provided you have his full name, or MRN and birthdate, entering the details will update their respective records without affecting any other details. I.e. Their current addresses and ward.

I can't recall if there was an option to move the respective records to one ward, or the other, so double check each step you take to ensure that doesn't happen.

Russelhltn I think that is what the OP is trying to achieve, otherwise they would be viewed as Single Adults (SA) by the Church. Not of course a bad thing, in itself, but nevertheless incorrect.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Yeah, I wasn't clear what was meant by "show they are married". Is this recording the marriage on the records, or is it making the ward directory show them as a couple so they "look married" to the rest of the ward?

There's no problem In being married but apart - but getting the directory to show them as a couple could be a little more tricky.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

Biggles

Post by Biggles »

russellhltn wrote:Yeah, I wasn't clear what was meant by "show they are married". Is this recording the marriage on the records, or is it making the ward directory show them as a couple so they "look married" to the rest of the ward?

There's no problem In being married but apart - but getting the directory to show them as a couple could be a little more tricky.
I think the OP was just trying to register the marriage, without moving their records. No direct mention about Directory listings in the post, that I can see.

Checking in the Directory for the sister in my ward, she is now listed under her married name, but no listing for her husband.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

Biggles wrote:Checking in the Directory for the sister in my ward, she is now listed under her married name, but no listing for her husband.
And that is correct. The Directory shows members of the ward. She is in one ward (now with her married name), and he is in another ward (also married). But the spouses will not show in the Directory of either ward because the spouses do not live on the ward.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

lajackson wrote:The Directory shows members of the ward. She is in one ward (now with her married name), and he is in another ward (also married). But the spouses will not show in the Directory of either ward because the spouses do not live on the ward.
Unless the directory pulls the spouse from the marriage record. That does happen sometimes with non-member spouses. I'm not sure how it will play out in this situation.

russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

From what I'm reading here, the pulling of marriage information to populate the directory for a "missing" spouse seems to be random. Sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't. It's a setting under control of CHQ, but not the clerk. I've never heard anyone explain the logic about how it decides what to do.

Return to “Membership Help”