Out of Unit Baby Blessing Best Practices

Discuss questions around local unit policies for membership (creating records, transferring records, etc.) This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
mrclary

Out of Unit Baby Blessing Best Practices

Postby mrclary » Sun Jan 22, 2017 4:19 pm

I anticipate a child being blessed in my unit who is the child of members of another unit. This is a grandchild being blessed in the grandparents ward.
The baby will be blessed by the member birth father. I'm wondering what is the best way to handle this?
  • I could create the blessing certificate in MLS. This will create a new membership record in our ward, which I must then transfer to the parents ward.
  • What if the record is already created in the home ward? For members of my ward, I try to create a child of record as soon as possible rather than waiting for the blessing to occur. I then print the certificate when the blessing occurs.
  • Should I request the home ward create the record for the child? Is it possible to create a blessing certificate for an existing child of record outside of my unit?
  • I believe the certificate must be generated in the unit where the blessing takes place, in order for the presiding Bishop to sign it; is this correct?

drepouille

Re: Out of Unit Baby Blessing Best Practices

Postby drepouille » Sun Jan 22, 2017 5:30 pm

Dana Repouille, Plattsmouth, Nebraska

eblood66

Re: Out of Unit Baby Blessing Best Practices

Postby eblood66 » Sun Jan 22, 2017 7:19 pm

You should be able to check whether the home ward has already created a record by beginning (but not completing) a record request in LCR (do the search but then hit cancel at step 2). Or you can just call the home ward and ask. If the home ward has already created a record then just print the certificate, have your bishop sign it and then it can be presented after the baby blessing. I think you'll have to print the certificate in MLS because I don't think you can print a blessing certificate in LCR unless you have their record in your ward. In MLS, just select Membership > Ordinances > Certificates from the menu.

If the home ward has not created a record then follow the procedure described in the the Help Center article that drepouille linked. Basically record the blessing in MLS but fill in the 'Unit Where Child Resides' fields. In this case you will print the certificate and present the certificate but the record will be created and automatically sent to the home ward and linked to the parents' household.

Return to “Membership Help”