GEO codes

Discuss questions around local unit policies for membership (creating records, transferring records, etc.) This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Re: GEO codes

Post by lajackson »

dlpyro1957 wrote:I was thinking not knowing how big your ward is but the plus 4 could be a very small area.
By definition, the +4 part of a zip code designates one side of a street for one block, so they are all very small. You could find my house with only the zip+4, because my home is the only one on my side of the street on my block, but most blocks have a few more houses than that. (Mine actually has three houses, but the other two houses have addresses on the adjoining streets.)
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

lajackson wrote:By definition, the +4 part of a zip code designates one side of a street for one block, so they are all very small.
In the case of apartment buildings, it's one section of the common mailboxes.

There's also a zip + 4 for the street address and another for the range of addresses on the street.

So, yes, a normal zip + 4 is going to result in very small sections, unless you go for one of the more generic codes.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
drepouille

Post by drepouille »

dlpyro1957 wrote:The zip will start in its own column and this will split in tp 2 columns
My ward covers two counties and many zip codes. Using text-to-columns does not move the first five digits of the zip code into a new column, since there is no hyphen preceding it. I suppose I could do a find/replace to insert a hyphen before the first digit of the zip codes, which are all 680xx or 681xx in my ward.
The maps available in Ward Map and CDOL do not allow us to break each grouping of member households into easily handled maps.
Dana Repouille, Plattsmouth, Nebraska
falcon771

Post by falcon771 »

drepouille wrote:Using text-to-columns does not move the first five digits of the zip code into a new column, since there is no hyphen preceding it.
Assuming you are using Microsoft Excel:

When using Text to Columns, select the Fixed Width radio button, under the Orignal data type selection. After clicking Next, you can click and drag the break line for where you want to split the data.

Return to “Membership Help”