Finding records

Discuss questions around local unit policies for membership (creating records, transferring records, etc.) This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
marieallison

Finding records

Post by marieallison »

We have 2 kids in our branch that for some reasons do not have their records. We have their parents and their siblings records. We already searched it he ward they were baptized and also the next ward they moved to and none of them have their records. Somebody told me that the branch clerk can make a phone call to Salt Lake City and request those membership if they hopefully were registered in the system. Is that right? Or If there any other way they can get those membership, what will be the best way? Thanks. Marie Allison
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Finding records

Post by russellhltn »

The branch clerk can use LCR (on-line website) to search for and request the records (if they exist). There's any number of reasons why the individual records may not exist. It's probably more common among convert families. To add to the confusion, the child may appear on the parent's records but still not have an individual record.

As long as the children are under the age of 8 and the parental approval outlined in Handbook 1:13.6.2 is obtained, the clerk can create the records. If the children are already 8 or above, the only way to create a record is for them to be baptized.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
marieallison

Post by marieallison »

Thank you. Our clerk is new and I think it is pretty hard for him to work with computer and all that stuff. What's LCR? Do you type it on the browser like that? or is there a specific web site address? The kids were already baptized. Thanks again....
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

marieallison wrote:What's LCR?
Leader and Clerk Resources. In your browser go to LDS.org and sign in. Click on your name and look for Leader and Clerk Resources in the right column. Go there. Under Membership in the banner near the top there is a link to Request Records.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

marieallison wrote:The kids were already baptized.
Ok, that's a different problem. If these were children of record baptized at age 8, it's the ward's responsibility to create the record. (But it sounds like there may be no record at all.) If they're converts or over the age of 8, it's the mission's. Either way, the ball could have been dropped and the baptism not recorded.

If no record can be found, the Handbook 1: 16.1.1 comes into play. If the necessary witnesses can't be found, they may need to be re-baptized.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
marieallison

Post by marieallison »

Thank you to both of you...I am the YW president and there is a beehive involved...
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Just a thought - any chance this child has a different last name from the reset of the family? That might complicate finding her records.

marieallison

Post by marieallison »

They have the same last name as the mom and the dad.... but, I think the presidency of the branch was making a mistake when submitting the names, so, hopefully they will find the records pretty soon. Thanks for your help.
marieallison

Post by marieallison »

Good morning. Thanks for your comments about what to do in the effort to find the records of those kids I was looking for. The branch clerk made a phone call to SLC and the baptism records were never put on file. My next question is? is there any specific form of letter we need to do? We have some witnesses of the baptisms, mom, uncle, even one of the person who performed the ordinance. Do we need a letter from each of them?
scgallafent
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by scgallafent »

marieallison wrote:Good morning. Thanks for your comments about what to do in the effort to find the records of those kids I was looking for. The branch clerk made a phone call to SLC and the baptism records were never put on file. My next question is? is there any specific form of letter we need to do? We have some witnesses of the baptisms, mom, uncle, even one of the person who performed the ordinance. Do we need a letter from each of them?
The branch clerk should review the instructions in section 16.1.10 of Handbook 1. There are instructions for what to do when there is no record of an ordinance.

Return to “Membership Help”