married military member gone for a year

Discuss questions around local unit policies for membership (creating records, transferring records, etc.) This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
cwmoody

married military member gone for a year

Postby cwmoody » Sun Aug 14, 2016 10:02 am

Wondering if someone knows the policy regarding military members who are assigned overseas for a long period. I know the policy is to send the record to that area. The question is what if they are married. Do we break up the household and send the military member to the area and keep the wife and children in our ward? Or do we keep the whole family in our ward?

Any help would be nice.

russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: married military member gone for a year

Postby russellhltn » Sun Aug 14, 2016 12:44 pm

I think Handbook 1: 13.6 is quite clear. I see nothing about trying to "keep a family together" if they are in fact living apart. See if 13.6.8 applies to your situation.

The last sentence in 13.6.4 should be your guiding principle.
Have you searched the Wiki?
Try using a Google search by adding "site:tech.lds.org/wiki" to the search criteria.

sbradshaw

Postby sbradshaw » Sun Aug 14, 2016 2:27 pm

The household information is separate from marriage information – even if the "household" is split to different wards, the marriage and family connection will still be recorded. So, there shouldn't be any problems with moving his record.
Samuel Bradshaw • Interested in church apps and sites, creative recordkeeping, clerk support, YSA wards and stakes, LDS music, Vineyard at BYU, and online service.

cwmoody

Postby cwmoody » Sun Aug 14, 2016 6:00 pm

cwmoody wrote:Wondering if someone knows the policy regarding military members who are assigned overseas for a long period. I know the policy is to send the record to that area. The question is what if they are married. Do we break up the household and send the military member to the area and keep the wife and children in our ward? Or do we keep the whole family in our ward?

Any help would be nice.

Update: thanks for the information. Glad to have people to double check with.

Return to “Membership Help”