Service mission question

Discuss questions around local unit policies for membership (creating records, transferring records, etc.) This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
tylerlybb

Service mission question

Post by tylerlybb »

Context: I am the clerk of a ward in Utah County.

We have a couple who moved into our ward but who are in the middle of a service mission, serving in a Spanish ward inside their previous stake (which is also in Utah County). Can/should I request their records to our ward even though they are serving in that Spanish ward (and want to continue to serve till their mission is over in about 4 months)? My bishop asked me to look into it.

Thank you,
Tyler
Biggles

Re: Service mission question

Post by Biggles »

I can think of at least two options. There are probably more.

1/. First talk to the missionary couple about how they want their records handled. Unless you have already done so.

2/. Depending on their wishes, you could offer to create 'Out-of Unit' records, until their mission is completed.

I've not done this yet, but I'm sure others in the forum will point you in the right direction!
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Handbook 1: 13.6 is pretty clear the records should be in your ward.

I'm not up on how the service missionary system works. I'd look to see if they can continue the mission even if they are now outside of their old stake. The served unit could create out-of-unit records for them for the remainder of the mission. I'd think something along that like is more likely to be acceptable.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

russellhltn wrote:Handbook 1: 13.6 is pretty clear the records should be in your ward.

I'm not up on how the service missionary system works. I'd look to see if they can continue the mission even if they are now outside of their old stake. The served unit could create out-of-unit records for them for the remainder of the mission. I'd think something along that like is more likely to be acceptable.
If the original stake handled everything correctly, then their records will currently be in their home ward, and the Spanish ward will have already created out-of-unit records for them. In that case, you would simply request their records (from the home ward) and the out-of-unit records would remain in place in the Spanish ward. It would be that easy.
tylerlybb

Post by tylerlybb »

Thanks to all of you!

Return to “Membership Help”