Audit: The spouse is already married

Discuss questions around local unit policies for membership (creating records, transferring records, etc.) This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
drepouille

Audit: The spouse is already married

Post by drepouille »

The membership audit on LCR has flagged a record for a sister in my ward with this warning: The spouse is already married.
In this sister's profile, LCR shows her husband, their 1999 marriage date, and their 2000 sealing date. However, we do not have the membership record for her husband. I have to assume they are now divorced, and that he has remarried and lives elsewhere.
I'm not sure what to do short of contacting this sister and asking her for more information.
Dana Repouille, Plattsmouth, Nebraska
lajackson
Community Moderators

Re: Audit: The spouse is already married

Post by lajackson »

drepouille wrote:I have to assume they are now divorced, and that he has remarried and lives elsewhere.
I'm not sure what to do short of contacting this sister and asking her for more information.
That is about all you can do. They may never have divorced. They may be separated. They may have divorced and the event was not recorded on her membership record.

It really is not safe to assume anything. Usually, the only way to find out is to ask. Sometimes it is better that the bishop ask than that the clerk ask. And you should probably ask the bishop first and let him know you think some information is missing from her record. He may know more about it.
eblood66

Re: Audit: The spouse is already married

Post by eblood66 »

lajackson wrote:It really is not safe to assume anything. Usually, the only way to find out is to ask. Sometimes it is better that the bishop ask than that the clerk ask. And you should probably ask the bishop first and let him know you think some information is missing from her record. He may know more about it.
If there are home teachers or visiting teachers who do visit they may also know more about the situation and may be able to obtain the necessary information more naturally.

Return to “Membership Help”