This one is stumping me , maybe you all will know

Discuss questions around local unit policies for membership (creating records, transferring records, etc.) This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
jayriggity

This one is stumping me , maybe you all will know

Post by jayriggity »

I have a member in the Ward who gave birth to a child and the child died shortly thereafter. The child was not given a blessing before he died.

Is there a way to record the child's birth? It seems like the child should should be reflected at least on the parents' records (as one of their kids), even if the child himself was never given a blessing to get an MRN.

Any thoughts?

If so, anyone know how to do this technologically? I just don't see it anywhere.

If I can record the child, can I (and should I) also record the death?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: This one is stumping me , maybe you all will know

Post by russellhltn »

There might be a better way of doing it, but I think I'd be inclined to record the new child. (A blessing is the usual way it's created, but not required for creation.) Then, once it's clear the transaction has been processed, record the death. The individual record will disappear, but the name will still be recorded in the "children" section of the parent's records.

You could record the child directly under the parent's records - but I'm not sure if that gives you the place to record both the birth date and the death date. Or what that does on the FamilySearch side.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
eblood66

Post by eblood66 »

russellhltn wrote:There might be a better way of doing it, but I think I'd be inclined to record the new child. (A blessing is the usual way it's created, but not required for creation.) Then, once it's clear the transaction has been processed, record the death. The individual record will disappear, but the name will still be recorded in the "children" section of the parent's records.
That's what I did in a similar situation. Use the Membership > Records > New Child of Record menu option in MLS to create a new child record. Then use Membership > Records > Death of Member menu to record the death. It may be a good idea to do a send/receive in between the two operations (I don't remember if I did or not).
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

russellhltn wrote:You could record the child directly under the parent's records - but I'm not sure if that gives you the place to record both the birth date and the death date. Or what that does on the FamilySearch side.
Recording the child directly on the parents' records is definitely NOT the correct course of action.

The other advice to create a child of record and then record the death is correct. This will create a membership record, which is what is needed for all the systems to properly recognize that a child of members was born and died. This is particularly important if the parents were sealed in the temple and thus this child was born in the covenant. Only this procedure will properly record the sealing to parents as "Born in the Covenant."

Return to “Membership Help”