Possible incorrect birthdate of a deceased brother

Discuss questions around local unit policies for membership (creating records, transferring records, etc.) This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
New Member
Posts: 2
Joined: Sun Aug 16, 2015 8:56 am

Possible incorrect birthdate of a deceased brother

Postby clfish » Sun Mar 13, 2016 7:26 am

I have a brother whose record shows he was born in 1990, but his obituary states he died at the age of 60 last week. What is my next step to correct the record?

Community Administrator
Posts: 24194
Joined: Sat Jan 20, 2007 2:53 pm
Location: U.S.

Re: Possible incorrect birthdate of a deceased brother

Postby russellhltn » Sun Mar 13, 2016 10:05 am

First, the obituary could be wrong. It's written by the survivors who could be remembering incorrectly, or something could have been corrupted between the telling and the publication. So the first step is to make sure it's really in need of correction.
Have you searched the Wiki?
Try using a Google search by adding "site:tech.lds.org/wiki" to the search criteria.

Senior Member
Posts: 2818
Joined: Mon Sep 24, 2007 8:17 am
Location: Cumming, GA, USA

Re: Possible incorrect birthdate of a deceased brother

Postby eblood66 » Sun Mar 13, 2016 10:25 am

As russellhltn said, find a record which authoritatively shows the birth date first.

If a correction is indeed required, it then depends on if you have recorded the death yet or not.

If you have not recorded the death then simply enter the correct birth date on his record (find his individual record, select the Individual tab and click on the Edit button to the right of the Personal Information title) and then enter the death date (select Membership > Records > Death of Member from the menu). Then do a Send/Receive and after a short while the record will be removed from your ward but should have the corrected birth date.

If you have already recorded the death then you can't edit the membership record (it will have already been removed from your ward). But you can find the persons entry in Family Search and enter the correct birth date and provide the source of the information.

Return to “Membership Help”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest