Membership audit 'Unrecorded marriage', how to fix?

Discuss questions around local unit policies for membership (creating records, transferring records, etc.) This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
blythgoe

Membership audit 'Unrecorded marriage', how to fix?

Postby blythgoe » Sun Jan 31, 2016 12:52 pm

After running a Membership audit this exception came out for one of our members. The person is married but not to a member. What is LCR wanting when saying 'Unrecorded marriage'?

russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Membership audit 'Unrecorded marriage', how to fix?

Postby russellhltn » Sun Jan 31, 2016 1:50 pm

In doing the audit, you've indicated that the member is married, and yet their membership record says they're single.

Even if they are married to a non-member, the marriage needs to be recorded. It can be a touchy situation to try and get the necessary information to record it, but that's what needs to be done.
Have you searched the Wiki?
Try using a Google search by adding "site:tech.lds.org/wiki" to the search criteria.

jtjacks

Postby jtjacks » Mon Sep 19, 2016 11:54 am

So where is the system getting the data that the member is married? We got flagged for more than a dozen members - and when I look at their record, it shows no marriage (not that I can see - (member information page, family tab).

eblood66

Postby eblood66 » Mon Sep 19, 2016 12:09 pm

jtjacks wrote:So where is the system getting the data that the member is married? We got flagged for more than a dozen members - and when I look at their record, it shows no marriage (not that I can see - (member information page, family tab).

I haven't done a membership audit using the LCR version but in the old MLS system it presented a list of potential candidates (basically all singles of marriageable age) and the user checked those who are married (and need their records updated). The system itself did not determine who was married. I don't know any way the system could determine that someone was married but not recorded.

scgallafent
Church Employee
Church Employee

Postby scgallafent » Mon Sep 19, 2016 12:25 pm

eblood66 wrote:
jtjacks wrote:So where is the system getting the data that the member is married? We got flagged for more than a dozen members - and when I look at their record, it shows no marriage (not that I can see - (member information page, family tab).

I haven't done a membership audit using the LCR version but in the old MLS system it presented a list of potential candidates (basically all singles of marriageable age) and the user checked those who are married (and need their records updated). The system itself did not determine who was married. I don't know any way the system could determine that someone was married but not recorded.

This is correct. The system isn't indicating that the member is married -- it is indicating that these are members who may potentially be married (unmarried adults) and asking you if there are any on that list who are married and the marriage hasn't been recorded.

jtjacks

Postby jtjacks » Mon Sep 19, 2016 12:47 pm

No, I don't think it is correct.
In the audit, it is asking about the marriage status. I understand that . If the user checks the box that someone is married, the system is flagging somewhere that the person is married and it starts throwing exceptions because the system has recorded that marriage (somewhere - apparently invisible to the user) rather than asking the user who checked the box to supply the marriage info right then (so it could be recorded in the member's record) or confirming that the user will need to go get complete info (or something).

However, leaving aside the design issues, how do we fix the audit to stop the exceptions? I don't see any way to go back and correct the audit (I can't even see a way to view the last audit).

scgallafent
Church Employee
Church Employee

Postby scgallafent » Mon Sep 19, 2016 12:58 pm

jtjacks wrote:However, leaving aside the design issues, how do we fix the audit to stop the exceptions? I don't see any way to go back and correct the audit (I can't even see a way to view the last audit).

If I understand you correctly, you're saying that during your last membership audit, you checked the box on the marriage step for some members who are not actually married. Is that correct? If that is the case, there isn't anything you do to "fix" the audit. It has been submitted, although some of the data was incorrect.

You can submit a new membership audit (and you have started one) if you want with the correct data. It isn't necessary, but you can do it if you want to submit a new audit without the incorrect exceptions.

The fact that the members were marked on the last audit is not recorded anywhere other than the audit itself. That does not carry over to the next audit. If you look at the marriage step on the audit you started, you will see that none of the members marked as married in the last audit are marked as married in this audit.

You can view the last audit by clicking the link that says "View last audit submitted 23 Jun 2016" on the audit overview step.

jtjacks

Postby jtjacks » Mon Sep 19, 2016 1:11 pm

I think that is what the system now thinks. I don't think we checked the boxes incorrectly. When the membership clerk did the audit, I don't recall seeing any exceptions noted when I reviewed it before submission. Now it is showing a long list of exceptions. No idea how that came about.

However, the marriages (and related exceptions) recorded in the audit are apparently driving some kind of issue reporting because it has flagged inquiries from our stake clerk. If the only way to fix it is to submit a completely new audit, I guess we can do that - just seems like a lot of work for a data error.

scgallafent
Church Employee
Church Employee

Postby scgallafent » Mon Sep 19, 2016 1:20 pm

Somebody checked the box for those members on the last audit. That is the only way for them to end up in that state. Marking records during the audit does not modify the membership record and it affect subsequent audits.

Your stake clerk has probably inquired because he looked at his record-keeping status report and it shows that your ward has 17 unresolved audit exceptions from the last audit. Under normal circumstances, membership audit exceptions should be resolved within 30 days. It has now been almost 90 days since you submitted your audit, so it is reasonable for him to ask about the unresolved exceptions.

You don't necessarily have to submit a new audit. Talk with your stake clerk and let him know the situation. Knowing what the situation is, he may say to just leave it as is. If he wants to see the exceptions cleared, he might ask you to submit another audit.

dennisorvaldavis

Ward Audit - Unrecorded marriage of female over 50 yoa

Postby dennisorvaldavis » Tue Sep 20, 2016 12:50 pm

There is a sister in our ward, 50 years of age, that has never married. The Ward Audit is kicking out an error of "Unrecorded Marriage" for her. I'm new to the membership calling so I don't know if there is an error in the records somewhere or does the program put out this error automatically for folks over a certain age? Is there a way to correct the records so this error doesn't keep reappearing?

Thanks to all for the help you've given me these past few months.

Dennis

Return to “Membership Help”